Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Disorder ruining friendships watch

Announcements

I suffer from BDD and leaving the house is a very daunting experience for me because of this. My friends like to go out to nightclubs and, as you can imagine, I do not. I hate going out, I haven't went out to a club since June and I'm perfectly content with that. I know how I feel when I go out, seeing pictures of myself from the night before and wanting to die because of how unhappy I am with my appearance and I remind myself of this horrible feeling any time my friends bring up the topic of going out. One friend in particular, constantly asks me to go out and I'm always thinking of excuses to tell her to go out. She gets very annoyed at me and snaps at me when I tell her my excuses. I don't blame her, really. She doesn't really have anyone else to go out with so she kind of depends on me, which is annoying because I have no desire whatsoever to go out.

Any ideas of what should I do? Its embarrassing having to come up with obviously fake excuses and I know that people judge me when I say I don't want to go out. I wish I could ignore it but I'm self conscious of this and I want to please people ugh.

ReputationRep:
    Did you used to like going out? Then yes you need to get help, usually in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy.
    Otherwise, it's a part of your personality and you should find some other friends to hang around with, those who won't judge.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Why do you have to keep making excuses? Do they not know of your disorder?

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Did you used to like going out? Then yes you need to get help, usually in the form of cognitive behavioural therapy.
    Otherwise, it's a part of your personality and you should find some other friends to hang around with, those who won't judge.
    I was never really a huge fan of it, to be completely honest. However, like I said, I'm content with not going out. I will look into CBT though.
    Yeah, I suppose you're right, It's just difficult because almost everyone at school loves going out and so they all inevitably get annoyed when I don't want to haha Thank you.

(Original post by OU Student)
    Why do you have to keep making excuses? Do they not know of your disorder?
    No. I know it would be better to tell them but it's such a personal thing for me that I don't feel comfortable telling them. None of my friends in school are my very close to me and so I find it hard to tell them personal things. Don't get me wrong, I like them and we get a long well but I usually only tell my family and one other friend, living in america about my very personal issues.
    Thanks for your response though

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.