Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

No Predicted Grades watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I may about to be completely ignorant or oblivious but I was just wondering how the whole predicted grades system works in Scotland and the rUK. I'm currently in S6 (Year 13) studying for my second round of Highers and Advanced Highers.

I'm in the process of applying to a work experience programme which requires applicants to enter their predicted grades for their final year of secondary school. The only thing is, my school doesn't issue predicted grades. As far as I'm aware, most Scottish schools don't (to pupils anyway) as universities admit students based on their S5 results. Is this right or is my school and the others in my area different from the rest of the country? I have never, nor have I ever known, any student who's school has given them predicted grades.

My school does follow a "target grade system" where each term we are given an attainment report which includes the grade your teacher thinks you're
    currently working at, and the grade you should aim to be working at by your next report. They cannot stress enough that these are NOT predicted grades, but rather an overview of your attainment at a particular point in the school year which may fluctuate.

Unlike the rest of the UK (I'm under the impression most rUK students have to choose between subjects they studied at AS level), in Scotland most students do not take only subjects they studied in S5 further to S6. Most take about 2 Adv Highers and additional crash (subjects they've never studied before) or deferred Highers. This means pupils do not have a record in the subject, making it difficult for teachers to predict results for them, as opposed to Adv Highers where they can simply look at how they coped at Higher level.

After all that, my question is am I completely oblivious and the target grade system my school follows is simply predicted grades in disguise, no matter how much they say they aren't? Also, would it be wise putting my current target grades on my work experience application although they're not exactly what is asked for?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.