Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm really struggling at the moment in tests, in lessons I can do all the questions and it's okay but once it comes to a little internal test I struggle and make many silly mistakes however if I sit down and do the question afterwards I don't struggle at all, It's probably quite common but I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem or any potential solutions? many thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyj7182)
    Hi there, I'm really struggling at the moment in tests, in lessons I can do all the questions and it's okay but once it comes to a little internal test I struggle and make many silly mistakes however if I sit down and do the question afterwards I don't struggle at all, It's probably quite common but I was just curious if anyone else had the same problem or any potential solutions? many thanks in advance
    I used to always struggle with that, especially when all it is usually mis-reading the question. What I would suggest is to underline the important parts of a question. Before you even answer it read through it once to get the gist. Usually sometimes I just answer while I'm reading only the first part, but I made some mistakes which were 100% avoidable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sammyj7182)
    I struggle massively with this. I found the following have helped:

- List in detail how you can verify your answers for different sorts of questions

- Checking "in-exam" (dangerous unless you know you will finish in time)

- See if any particular types of question are more prone to silly mistakes, for example if a particular topic requires a lot of calculations in it. I had one such common pitfall in S2. There was a particular type of hypothesis test which required about 10 calculations to get the test statistic, and I was very prone to making a calculator/transcription error here, so I made sure to be extra careful when doing these and check more thoroughly.

- Practice (including full checking in timed conditions. I know the temptation can be to not check past papers as thoroughly as in a real exam. This is a bad idea in my opinion, your checking technique is a vital part of your exam technique.)

ReputationRep:
    It's very common. I'm not sure if it ever gets better (I hope it does!), or if you just get better at spotting your silly mistakes. If you understand the concepts, it's all just practice. For instance, something like 95% of mine come down to forgetting a negative sign somewhere - I do it all the time. I've got into the habit of checking for it specifically and, although I still do it, I catch it. Maybe you could look over your mistakes to figure out what you're most likely to trip up on?

It sounds like for you it may just be nerves, though. In which case, forget the maths and find some good techniques for calming down and getting in the zone

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much everyone some really helpful ideas will definitely be giving them a go it just gets very frustrating so thank you again

ReputationRep:
    Practice.

As others have also said, underline important information (and remember you'll most likely need to use it in the question(s).

Read over your answer, and see if there are any discrepancies.

Know what they're asking you for, and how to answer questions (comes with some practice also.)/i.e.(some) exam technique.

You'll find that (I'm presuming this applies to all subjects, but I'll say I took biology chemistry and German0 that questions tend to repeat themselves, or you just need to make slight adaptations (let's say for essays in German mainly.)

edit: Also don't forget to do silly things like quote statistics or numbers from the question (like I do so many times in biology)(only if necessary.)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.