Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So im taking a gap year after my a2 exams, I was wondering whether I have to apply to unis by this January or could I do it by January 2017 as I don't want to go uni this year and does this also apply for personal statement?
    Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayaz123)
    So im taking a gap year after my a2 exams, I was wondering whether I have to apply to unis by this January or could I do it by January 2017 as I don't want to go uni this year and does this also apply for personal statement?
    Thank you
    You can wait till next 'season' before applying if you want. Just check with your school/college about how you would go about getting a reference. You write your PS when you apply.

Alternatively you can apply now for deferred entry. It's entirely up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    You can do both.
    If you apply this year, it might be more difficult to get into certain unis, as some of them do say that they don't offer many places for deferred entry.

If you apply next year, with your grades on hand, you'll receive undonditional offers.

In my personal opinion, I would apply this year (You have nothing to lose), and then, if it doesn't turn out well, you can apply again next year with your grades on hand.

In either case, I think that for some unis it is very important that you explain well what you are going to do/ have done during your gap year in your personal statement, to show them that it is going to be useful for you, and that you are not simply going to lie on the beach all day all night!

Best of luck !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    You can do both.
    If you apply this year, it might be more difficult to get into certain unis, as some of them do say that they don't offer many places for deferred entry.

If you apply next year, with your grades on hand, you'll receive undonditional offers.

In my personal opinion, I would apply this year (You have nothing to lose), and then, if it doesn't turn out well, you can apply again next year with your grades on hand.

In either case, I think that for some unis it is very important that you explain well what you are going to do/ have done during your gap year in your personal statement, to show them that it is going to be useful for you, and that you are not simply going to lie on the beach all day all night!

Best of luck !
    It i was to do it this year , then i would have to hand my personal statement in, and if I do it next year again won't I have to change my personal statement? And if i don't do it this year how am i supposed to get a reference?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    You can wait till next 'season' before applying if you want. Just check with your school/college about how you would go about getting a reference. You write your PS when you apply.

Alternatively you can apply now for deferred entry. It's entirely up to you.
    If I was to apply next year would it be better due to the fact I have my grades?

ReputationRep:
    It i was to do it this year , then i would have to hand my personal statement in, and if I do it next year again won't I have to change my personal statement? And if i don't do it this year how am i supposed to get a reference?
    If you apply this year, you'd have to explain what you are going to do during the gap year. If you apply next year, you'll have to change it, to explain what you have done, and how it has benefited you.

If you decide to apply this year, and then re-apply next year, you'd have to email or call UCAS to ask them what to do with the PS, so as not to be accused of plagiarism. (To be honest, I don't know how this works, they use computer software to ensure that your PS is original. I suppose that given that it would be your own PS they would allow it)

About the reference, if you apply next year you'll have to go back to your school (Or whoever it was that was going to give you the reference) and ask them to do it, even if you are no longer at that school.

ReputationRep:
    If I was to apply next year would it be better due to the fact I have my grades?

I think that generally, it would be a bit easier next year (As I said, some unis won't take in students for deferred entry). However, you can apply both times as I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pcabezas)
    I think that generally, it would be a bit easier next year (As I said, some unis won't take in students for deferred entry). However, you can apply both times as I said.
    Thank you so much and yeah I guess I'll apply next year

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much and yeah I guess I'll apply next year
    youre gonna do great b

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.