Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know, I know, this has probably been discussed many times before somewhere on this site.

Could someone just excuse my laziness and tell me please!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuyReturns)
    I know, I know, this has probably been discussed many times before somewhere on this site.

Could someone just excuse my laziness and tell me please!?
    Not great.

If you are interested in trading especially (think they gave <5 trading grad offers this year)
    Sales, I think is better though

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aenigma)
    Not great.

If you are interested in trading especially (think they gave <5 trading grad offers this year)
    Sales, I think is better though

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ouch. Well, it should still be a good experience, and it'll help with getting a job elsewhere.

Cheers for the reply!

ReputationRep:
    Not great.

Would you happen to know how many interns there are from which these 5 are chosen?

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand why conversion rates matter. Just back yourself and people will see that. Usually the ones who complain about conversion rates are not good enough in the first place. That's the reality.

Caveat: Unless it's a bank that consistent converts no one...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Econight)
    I don't understand why conversion rates matter. Just back yourself and people will see that. Usually the ones who complain about conversion rates are not good enough in the first place. That's the reality.

Caveat: Unless it's a bank that consistent converts no one...
    Jesus, losers like you remind me why I don't use TSR for discussions on banking.

Conversion rates matter in the same way grade boundaries matter. Obviously I can't do anything about them, but I'd like to know what they will be... even if I'm already planning to give it my all whatever they may be.

Where was I "complaining" exactly anyway?

And what exactly did you add to this thread with your post?

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, losers like you remind me why I don't use TSR for discussions on banking.

Conversion rates matter in the same way grade boundaries matter. Obviously I can't do anything about them, but I'd like to know what they will be... even if I'm already planning to give it my all whatever they may be.

Where was I "complaining" exactly anyway?

And what exactly did you add to this thread with your post?
    Well no, they don't. Grade boundaries are set based on the distribution of results. Conversion rates depend on 100 factors that are out of your control but the main one you can control is your demonstration of your competency during the internship (hint: this is mainly driven by confidence).

Those who continuously ask about conversion rates think it gives a realistic idea of how 'middle of the pack' you can be and still get an offer. Simple fact is if you're good, you're good and you will get hired. Wondering about conversion rates pre-intern/during/post-intern messes candidates up by choosing the firm over the people, lack of belief etc. I have seen it happen a lot.

Did not say you were complaining, but if you read it like that, then you probably felt hurt by the post.

Take the advice or don't. It's a forum anyone can post opinions. Think I added a reality check to the thread.

ReputationRep:
    Well no, they don't. Grade boundaries are set based on the distribution of results. Conversion rates depend on 100 factors that are out of your control but the main one you can control is your demonstration of your competency during the internship (hint: this is mainly driven by confidence).

Those who continuously ask about conversion rates think it gives a realistic idea of how 'middle of the pack' you can be and still get an offer. Simple fact is if you're good, you're good and you will get hired. Wondering about conversion rates pre-intern/during/post-intern messes candidates up by choosing the firm over the people, lack of belief etc. I have seen it happen a lot.

Did not say you were complaining, but if you read it like that, then you probably felt hurt by the post.

Take the advice or don't. It's a forum anyone can post opinions. Think I added a reality check to the thread.
    I don't think this is fair

I interned this summer and had no idea that the Europeans would be so out of my league
    At a place like GS in a trading position if you are a uk applicant and it's your first internahip you're hugely disadvantaged. Confidence will only get you so far, lol and it's not if you're good you're good in a place where they hire a limited number of people and everyone is good...

I was just lucky to be in IBD where they give out more spots. I saw some really really good people not convert in trading

To op, I'm not sure how many because interns don't specify between sales and trading before they start and I think a lot of people start targetting sales jobs once they realise the reality

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I mean you've just posted a load of drivel here quite frankly. There are 100 factors out of my control which determine what the intake at a bank will be. Besides, it's an analogy, not a like for like comparison.

This might actually be useful advise.

All fine here, this site just gets on my nerves sometimes (more so, the IB forum) because people like to make snarky, pointless posts which don't in any way help the OP.

I mean your advise basically boils down to "give it your all", it's useful... but I'm pretty sure everyone, me included, already knew this...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think this is fair

I interned this summer and had no idea that the Europeans would be so out of my league
    At a place like GS in a trading position if you are a uk applicant and it's your first internahip you're hugely disadvantaged. Confidence will only get you so far, lol and it's not if you're good you're good in a place where they hire a limited number of people and everyone is good...

I was just lucky to be in IBD where they give out more spots. I saw some really really good people not convert in trading

To op, I'm not sure how many because interns don't specify between sales and trading before they start and I think a lot of people start targetting sales jobs once they realise the reality

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's pretty much the same at most other firms tbh. Huge bias towards those with previous experience and generally continental students. I heard about GS last summer and yeah those interning in trading got it bad. But they still recruited for grad roles and they weren't happy with the intern class.

I genuinely believe looking at the numbers in markets is just not worth it. But people love to quantify chances of anything.

ReputationRep:
    I mean you've just posted a load of drivel here quite frankly. There are 100 factors out of my control which determine what the intake at a bank will be. Besides, it's an analogy, not a like for like comparison.

This might actually be useful advise.

All fine here, this site just gets on my nerves sometimes (more so, the IB forum) because people like to make snarky, pointless posts which don't in any way help the OP.

I mean your advise basically boils down to "give it your all", it's useful... but I'm pretty sure everyone, me included, already knew this...
    Here's the run down:

GS - Terrible conversion last summer, good conversion summer before, decent conversion year before that.

Most other firms 50% +/- 10%.

My point is that it is generally pointless asking for stats that are basically guesitmation at best, help no one positively and are pretty much useless.

Better to ask, how do I ensure I am considered 'conversion material' at GS. I'm sure a lot of people on here could help with that.

I am going to take your advice and tone down my bluntness. But seriously this is nothing compared to 10 weeks at GS Securities...

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.