Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

Difference in the way gender is perceived online? watch

ReputationRep:
    Do you think certain behaviours are indicative of certain genders online?
    For example, I tend to associate writing with full punctuation, few emojis, and full spelling with a male whereas I presume people who write in text-speak with lots of smiley faces to be female. It doesn't make sense though because I do not present myself on the internet in the way I associate with females, plus I've spoken to many people who defy both of these presumptions.
    Any thoughts? Do you do this also?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    Do you think certain behaviours are indicative of certain genders online?
    For example, I tend to associate writing with full punctuation, few emojis, and full spelling with a male whereas I presume people who write in text-speak with lots of smiley faces to be female. It doesn't make sense though because I do not present myself on the internet in the way I associate with females, plus I've spoken to many people who defy both of these presumptions.
    Any thoughts? Do you do this also?
    Yes. Tonnes of 'xxxxxx's I associate with girls.

Poorly formed banter with guys.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    i tend to use loads of emojis, just to keep the convo less dry. but im not accurate cos i do identify myself to be quite feminine

ReputationRep:
    😍😘👅💏💑💕💞💙
    I am deffo a girl

ReputationRep:
    Well, can you tell OP?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Yes. Tonnes of 'xxxxxx's I associate with girls.

Poorly formed banter with guys.
    Exactly. I don't really feel comfortable putting kisses on everything though so I have to politely ignore it when I'm talking to some girls x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toonervoustotalk)
    😍😘👅💏💑💕💞💙
    I am deffo a girl
    Of course you are dear

ReputationRep:
    😍😘👅💏💑💕💞💙
    I am deffo a girl
    Preach it sista.

ReputationRep:
    😍😘👅💏💑💕💞💙
    I am deffo a girl
    We always said tell us when you're ready.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainbowKiwi)
    Preach it sista.
    While we're on the subject, I thought you were a girl for the longest time. It doesn't help that you seem to be in love with Prince Charles.

ReputationRep:
    It is like catching fish in a barrel. Too many to choose from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Well, can you tell OP?
    Time to mess with some minds.

ReputationRep:
    While we're on the subject, I thought you were a girl for the longest time. It doesn't help that you seem to be in love with Prince Charles.
    Interesting, what made you think I was a girl and what makes you think I'm a dude now?

ReputationRep:
    Gender is a performativity of two oppositions: masculine/feminine. One can not exist without the other.

A neutral way/style of writing with full punctuation etc is perceived as masculine because that is the neutral gender. And anything feminine is an opposition (so writing in a flowery and more casual way, perhaps dressing the text with xxxxx or emojis is a 'feminine' style).

And remember that they younger someone is, the more they would try to fit into these categories, due to bullying (being an opposite performance to your sex is conflicting to school children and seen as bad, such as a boy being feminine etc).

So yes, due to the structures of gender you will see a pattern in people's performance online and offline.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you are dear

Preach it sista.
    Ok Bro!!!
    (Original post by XcitingStuart)
    We always said tell us when you're ready.
    Haha i just had to confessci couldnt keep it a secret any longer

ReputationRep:
    Men buy, Women sell

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, what made you think I was a girl and what makes you think I'm a dude now?
    Your username made me think you were a girl
    I realised you were a guy because of something someone said on a thread somewhere, I can't remember what thread. I just remember thinking "Oh, rainbowkiwi isn't a girl? O.O! " Hahah.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Your username made me think you were a girl
    I realised you were a guy because of something someone said on a thread somewhere, I can't remember what thread. I just remember thinking "Oh, rainbowkiwi isn't a girl? O.O! " Hahah.
    she is a girl.

What am I:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    she is a girl.

What am I:ninja:
    Hmmm :beard:

I think you're male.

ReputationRep:
    No offense to anyone, I do not mean to be rude but seriously a lot of women do not have femininity anymore so it is hard to judge who is who, in real life too.

Please correct me whenever I make any grammatical mistake in my posts. I am here to improve my English so please help me with it thanks.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.