Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm very much in the dark as to what I can hope for with my UCAS application.

I left school eight years ago with a B in Maths, C in Business and lots of D's and an F in Spanish.
    I started an Access to HE Combined Sciences course last month and I'm enjoying the workload. It's full on but University isn't going to be a walk in the park. Alongside my Access course, I'm retaking my GCSE English as I got a D in 2007, I'll get an A/A* in that though I don't think it's of that much importance(?)
    If I had to guess my grades I would say I'll get a Distinction in Maths and Merit in Chemistry, Biology and Physics though I could get a distinction at a stretch. I am basing these estimations on the fact that I am highly motivated, intelligent when I apply myself and fortunately have lots of spare time.
    My five choices are:
    Maths @ UCL which requires 33 credits at Distinction, rest at Merit
    Maths Education @ UEL no specifics but 280 UCAS points
    Maths, Maths Education @ Greenwich both 300 UCAS points
    Maths Education @ Brighton 18 credits at Merit, 260 UCAS points

What do you think my chances are of getting offers from each of these?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geshe)
    I'm very much in the dark as to what I can hope for with my UCAS application.

I left school eight years ago with a B in Maths, C in Business and lots of D's and an F in Spanish.
    I started an Access to HE Combined Sciences course last month and I'm enjoying the workload. It's full on but University isn't going to be a walk in the park. Alongside my Access course, I'm retaking my GCSE English as I got a D in 2007, I'll get an A/A* in that though I don't think it's of that much importance(?)
    If I had to guess my grades I would say I'll get a Distinction in Maths and Merit in Chemistry, Biology and Physics though I could get a distinction at a stretch. I am basing these estimations on the fact that I am highly motivated, intelligent when I apply myself and fortunately have lots of spare time.
    My five choices are:
    Maths @ UCL which requires 33 credits at Distinction, rest at Merit
    Maths Education @ UEL no specifics but 280 UCAS points
    Maths, Maths Education @ Greenwich both 300 UCAS points
    Maths Education @ Brighton 18 credits at Merit, 260 UCAS points

What do you think my chances are of getting offers from each of these?
    I really don't know how your grades fit against the expected grades but would say UCL is likely to be tough to get into and the others somewhat easier. I think UCL require A*AA at A level as a minimum which is 380 UCAS points

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that would equate to a Distinction in every module?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geshe)
    Do you think that would equate to a Distinction in every module?
    I am not sure exactly what you are studying but A*AA at A level is 380 UCAS points. D*DD at Btec is also 380 points. Please be aware these are MINIMUM entry stards and may applicants will do far better than this. You might also be well advised to check whether the uni accepts your qualification as not all unis will

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I am not sure exactly what you are studying but A*AA at A level is 380 UCAS points. D*DD at Btec is also 380 points. Please be aware these are MINIMUM entry stards and may applicants will do far better than this. You might also be well advised to check whether the uni accepts your qualification as not all unis will
    Studying Access to Combined Sciences: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

I'll email them. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geshe)
    Studying Access to Combined Sciences: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Biology.

I'll email them. Thanks
    I have taken this from UCL Maths entry requirement for you

UK applicants qualificationsFor entry requirements with other UK qualifications accepted by UCL, choose your qualification from the list belowelect qualification BTEC National Diploma Access to HE Diploma Cambridge Pre-U Principal Subjects Scottish Advanced Highers Welsh Baccalaureate Equivalent qualificationNot acceptable for entrance to this programmePass in Access to HE Diploma, with a minimum of 33 credits awarded with Distinction in the Level 3 units, or 28 credits awarded with Distinction in the Level 3 units and a 1 in any STEP paper or a Distinction in AEA, the remainder of the Level 3 units awarded with Merit.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by swanseajack1)
    I have taken this from UCL Maths entry requirement for you

UK applicants qualificationsFor entry requirements with other UK qualifications accepted by UCL, choose your qualification from the list belowelect qualification BTEC National Diploma Access to HE Diploma Cambridge Pre-U Principal Subjects Scottish Advanced Highers Welsh Baccalaureate Equivalent qualificationNot acceptable for entrance to this programmePass in Access to HE Diploma, with a minimum of 33 credits awarded with Distinction in the Level 3 units, or 28 credits awarded with Distinction in the Level 3 units and a 1 in any STEP paper or a Distinction in AEA, the remainder of the Level 3 units awarded with Merit.
    The OP already had entry reqs for the course in their post..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That's where I got the information in my OP from, just curious as to the chance I have of getting offers based on my application of poor GCSEs and no A levels.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.