Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice - struggling to cope with university due to depression watch

All throughout my senior years at high school I struggled with depression and lack of motivation due to it. I've struggled to see a light at the end of the tunnel, for the lack of a better phrase. I know I was capable of much more than I achieved but I couldn't deal with the thought of getting out of bed in the morning and attending school never mind studying after it.
    I thought that after getting better grades than I needed and actually getting into university, I would be able to have a fresh start and could be happy. But this isn't the case.
    I stopped school in May and have had little structure in my life throughout the summer, I felt even worse. I slept a lot to avoid over thinking and avoided going out whenever possible.
    So you can guess university hit me like a train, and I have to be in 5 days a week. I can't deal with it at all and I'm only in my 5th week. I've already avoided 6 lectures and 4 classes. I don't know why I feel so terrible and dread going in, because I don't find the work challenging, i have a great group of friends there and I want to do the work outside of university too as I find it interesting but I just don't do it. It's all down to motivation and I can't get out of this circle of depression.
    I have read things online that suggest thinking about the future benefits to help motivate but that doesn't help me at all. I can't see a way out of the way I feel and I don't know what to do about it.
    I done an assessment on my doctor's website for depression and sent it to them and they phoned up and said they'd make an appointment for me but then never got back to me. I can't help but think that they just don't care.
    Off topic slightly but I also think I may have borderline personality disorder. It would link in with why I get depression but I don't even know how to go about getting help for that either.
    Thanks for reading all this if you have, any advice or similar experiences would be beneficial.

Female, 18, UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All throughout my senior years at high school I struggled with depression and lack of motivation due to it. I've struggled to see a light at the end of the tunnel, for the lack of a better phrase. I know I was capable of much more than I achieved but I couldn't deal with the thought of getting out of bed in the morning and attending school never mind studying after it.
    I thought that after getting better grades than I needed and actually getting into university, I would be able to have a fresh start and could be happy. But this isn't the case.
    I stopped school in May and have had little structure in my life throughout the summer, I felt even worse. I slept a lot to avoid over thinking and avoided going out whenever possible.
    So you can guess university hit me like a train, and I have to be in 5 days a week. I can't deal with it at all and I'm only in my 5th week. I've already avoided 6 lectures and 4 classes. I don't know why I feel so terrible and dread going in, because I don't find the work challenging, i have a great group of friends there and I want to do the work outside of university too as I find it interesting but I just don't do it. It's all down to motivation and I can't get out of this circle of depression.
    I have read things online that suggest thinking about the future benefits to help motivate but that doesn't help me at all. I can't see a way out of the way I feel and I don't know what to do about it.
    I done an assessment on my doctor's website for depression and sent it to them and they phoned up and said they'd make an appointment for me but then never got back to me. I can't help but think that they just don't care.
    Off topic slightly but I also think I may have borderline personality disorder. It would link in with why I get depression but I don't even know how to go about getting help for that either.
    Thanks for reading all this if you have, any advice or similar experiences would be beneficial.

Female, 18, UK.
    Hiya,

I'm struggling with depression as well. I had it once before about 7-8 years ago and overcame it very slowly with help from a counsellor and more crucially, a new job. I had left uni and moved back in with my mum and dad. Don't struggle through uni when you can't give it 100% - it's not worth it. Especially if you're in England and it's costing you money. Take some time out and you can go back when you're really ready and in the right frame of mind. Do you have a job already? If you don't then try to get one. It's good for staying busy and meeting new friends. That was really what saved me. Slowly, everything started getting better. You really have to try and help yourself as well. I know it's a common suggestion but exercise is also really useful. I get bored at the gym but I find classes are really good because someone is pushing you and telling you what to do. You could also try getting involved in some voluntary work. Helping others can be a good mood lifter.

This time around things are even worse than the first time and I wish I had some more advice for you. Go back to your doctors and explain how bad things are. They can probably find some private counselling as well. There's a place across the road from mine that I didn't even know existed until the doctor told me about it. They just ask for a donation of £10-£20 a session, but it depends on how much you can afford. Get on some antidepressants as well. Things are really, really bad for me just now so I guess what I want to say is, you're not alone. Depression is so common.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds to me like you really need that GP appointment. It's not that they don't care, it's just people fall through the net. There are thousands of patients in a GP practice and hundreds of them will have ongoing mental health problems and it can be hard to keep track of everyone. Don't take it personally and I know that's not easy.

Make the appointment and just talk, tell them how you feel and you will get help, I promise.

What makes you think you have borderline personality disorder?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.