Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Started to have driving lessons with Parents ! watch

ReputationRep:
    I have been learning to drive now for 5 Months with a professional instructor , I have just passed my driving theory which I was really proud about. Now I am on my parents insurance as I felt I was confident enough to drive with them. However today I went out and I lost all my confidence as if I had never driven before it really worried me because when I am with my instructor everything is okay and I am making progress when I have my lessons and I felt I was doing really well, but today when I went out with mum I was really scared and nervous which effected my driving.

can anyone give me any advice please?

ReputationRep:
    Is she chatting to you and distracting you?

Is she overly nervous and jumpy at everything you do, clinging to her seat with a look of horror every time you approach within a mile of another car?

Is she constantly criticising you when you haven't done anything wrong?

Is she constantly telling you to do things another way than your instructor has taught you?

If any of the above is true, then it's your mum that is making you nervous.

ReputationRep:
    It could also be that you are used to having someone tell you what to do? Where as now you are solely making all your own choices? I'm a learner and i have no idea why but the idea of driving without my instructor sends me into a cold sweat. However, several of my friends and work colleagues assure me that everyone has felt the same way initially.

Stay calm and just continue what you've been taught.

Hope this helps.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.