The Student Room Group

Interesting facts about foreign languages, particularly minority languages

Although this isn't entirely relative I found these facts in a Geographical article on the decrease in minority languages and thought that people here would be as interested in them as I was.

- In the Yunnan Province (in China) there still exists a language called Dongba which is the last living hieroglyphic language.

- There are 167 critically endangered languages in Australia

- In 1981 Wakawaka, a language in Australia, was spoken by 3 people

- There are 4,000 languages spoken by indigenous peoples

- In Nigeria there are 510 languages spoken

- There are 6,700 languages in use today

- At the peak of language diversity, around 10,000 years ago, there were at least 12,000 languages in use

- More than half of the world's languages are spoken by fewer than 10,000 people

- In the Americas and Australias, 337 languages are spoken by only a few elderly people

- In Tlingit, a village in Alaska, a language called Haida is spoken by only 65 people

- UNESCO celebrates International Mother Language day on 21st February

- There are 204 languages spoken by fewer than 10 people

- Kutenai, a language in Canada, was spoken by 6 pople in 2003

- There are 1,495 languages belonging to the Niger-Congo family

- Around 1,500 languages are used on the internet (in 1995, 95% of hosts on the internet spoke English, by 2003 it stood at less than 50%)

- Wikipedia is represented 150 languages including Cornish, Breton, Aragonese, Wolof, Cherokee and Aromanian.

- 820 languages are spoken in Papua New Guinea

- There are 115 countries in which English is spoken and 21 where Spanish is the official language

- The first Welsh TV channel was established by the British government in 1982

- Less than 2% of Ireland use Irish in day to day life

- Over 100,000 years of human life there have been 130,000 languages spoken

- More than half of the worlds languages could be extinct by the end of the century and many may not last past 2050

- Fewer than 100 people speak Onge, a language in the South Andaman islands. Among those who do it is their primary language and the first language of all the island's children.

Note: A language is considered endangered if it has less than 10,000 speakers.
Reply 1
This makes me kind of sad in a way, though it is inevitable that most languages are going to die out by the end of the century, or at least it looks that way.
I find it amazing how only one village or family can always communicate in a language that's spoken only by them. I'd love that!
Another interesting fact:

Linguists predict that English is due to extinct within the end of this month.
Reply 3
I wish, then I could really get on with my Spanish!
There's only 40 speakers of Manx (traiditonal language of the Isle of Man).

More people speak Welsh today than 30 years ago.

Latest

Trending

Trending