Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    What would you suggest are the 5 A-Levels that I could take which would help the most to obtain a Medical degree? Right now, I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and maybe Further Maths but what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maninblack00)
    What would you suggest are the 5 A-Levels that I could take which would help the most to obtain a Medical degree? Right now, I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and maybe Further Maths but what do you think?
    Ultimate combo if you can do well. But places like UCL like you to have a contrasting subject maybe an arts one or a language. But I don't see any problems with those choices, should be fine for the vast majority. Oxbridge will like it for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchmageRohan)
    Ultimate combo if you can do well. But places like UCL like you to have a contrasting subject maybe an arts one or a language. But I don't see any problems with those choices, should be fine for the vast majority. Oxbridge will like it for sure.
    Ok thanks 👍🏾😇

ReputationRep:
    I would say those A-levels are a good choice
    Chemistry is required; Biology is preferred and some universities would like you to have Maths or Physics (but you can do both of course). Then whatever you choose apart from that is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    That is going to be extremely intense. If you can handle it, go for it. Otherwise, definitely stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as your three core subjects and go for one or two languages or humanities. Also, note that taking more than four AS Levels and more than three A2 Levels puts you at no advantage over other applicants at most universities.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    The only ones you need are chemistry and biology. If you want to apply to Cambridge then do maths or physics. Otherwise maths and physics are NOT needed!!!!!!!!

Unless you apply to Barts there is no advantage doing more than 4 as and 3 a-levels. And many medical schools don't count further maths separately to maths, so unless you're not sure about medicine there is no point doing f.maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yasaminO_o)
    That is going to be extremely intense. If you can handle it, go for it. Otherwise, definitely stick with Bio, Chem and Maths as your three core subjects and go for one or two languages or humanities.
    There is definitely nothing wrong with taking Bio, Chem, Maths and Physics. If you're not good at/don't enjoy languages or humanities, there's no reason to do them. Also, you don't need maths in your core subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Those choices are fine.

However, it's not necessary to do 5 A Levels, and I can't imagine it'll give you much/any advantage. Do them if you want, but you may prefer not to give yourself an unnecessarily large workload.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.