Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm new to the student room I've known about the site for a while often referring to it when I was in sixth form but now I've finished six form in not the best position I don't have much support so hoping I can find some help and advice on here. So my situation from the beginning. I finished secondary school and although it was a tough experience due to being bullied and being diagnosed with anxiety and depression I was able to obtain 5 gcse's at grade a*-c.After finishing secondary school in year 11 I thought the best option would for me to move to another college and have a fresh start away from certain people and the environment even though my counsellor at the time didn't agree. So I moved to a six form college and it was not how I pictured it. Although I found my best friend their which was the best thing that happened to me my anxiety and depression got worse, I started having panic attacks and going to hospital. Although my grades started off well they went down very quickly and soon teacher well my subject teachers gave up they sort of knew where things were going and that I wasn't going to pass. I finished my as year with all e's but they still let my progress to a2 and said I could re-sit my alevels from the first year. My last year at college and things were completely same maybe even worse more panic attacks and depression got worse and I came out of a2 with no grades just an E in English language and literature.I got declined for all my deferred applications for university next year (September 2016 because I always knew I would be taking a year off). I am currently work full time in Pret a Manger as a barista which I love really nice team and company. I'm glad I took the year off because I wanted to qualify as a barista and I've achieved this.But my focus is that I also want to sort out my studies. So I have been on ucas and looking at courses for English literature something I've always known that I've wanted to study. Looking at the entry requirements I know I stand no chance of getting in even on a foundation course. So my next option was to call the career advice service who recommended that I take an access to higher education course in humanities something I'm willing to do but it would of been nice to go uni next September. Based on my situation do you think an access course is the best decision for me ? Has anyone else taken a access course (if any) how was it (I'm 19 so a bit worried). And finally my question does anyone know what universities accept access courses willingly because I know every university says they accept this qualification but I know some are less willing

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.