Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I've tried to do these practice chemistry questions but I am really confused particularly with the 1st one as I don't really know what I'm doing! Would someone kindly point me in the right direction? Also with atom economy how do you know if a product is useful or wasted?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Here is the sheet, I forgot to attach it
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    For the first question:

Calculate moles of calcium phosphate which has reacted
    From the balanced chemical equation you can see that for every mole of calcium phosphate that reacts , twice as many moles of phosphoric acid will form
    Therefore moles of acid produced will just be double moles of calcium phosphate reacted
    This is called using the molar ratio of the reaction
    Then use the moles=concentration × volume formula which is used when working with solutions
    Rearrange it and use the information u have found and are given to calculate the concentration of phosphoric acid

For the atom economy question the question has hinted that calcium nitrate is the desired product so phosphoric is considered waste
    Caclaute Mr of desired product and of all products in total then stick into the formal and multiply by 100

I have calculated answers let me now if u want them as I can't be 100 percent sure they're right!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Have u managed to do part c?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! That is such a great help as I was on the right track but had got myself in a muddle. I would be really grateful for the answers so that I can see if I get the right answer the 2nd time around.

I've done part c but I'm not sure it it's right. I first found out the percentage of each element in the compound, used this to find the moles and then found the simplest ratio.

ReputationRep:
    Here's my working
    Part a)
    Moles of calcium phosphate = 7.26 ÷ 310.3= 0.023 moles
    Therfore oles of phosphoric acid will be 0.023×2 = 0.047 moles
    Using conc= moles÷volume
    Conc of acid= 0.047 ÷ 0.038= 1.24 molecular per decimeters cubed

Atom economy= (164.1×3)÷ (164.1×3)+(98×2)
    ×100
    71.5%

I might have slipped up somewhere but I'm sure my methods right

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For part c where exactly is the x ?
    Can't tell from pic

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coyote101)
    For part c where exactly is the x ?
    Can't tell from pic

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks The x is just outside the bracket. I think it's 2 as the numbers inside the bracket are half the empirical formula but I might be wrong.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.