Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    The MORSE course at Warwick looks really interesting, but I haven't done Economics at GCSE nor have I taken it up for AS this year, so naturally I'm worried that if I get into MORSE I'll end up hating the Economics aspect... I've grabbed a textbook off the Econ teacher at my school and taken a look through it, and the topics covered do seem to interest me, but the fact that I have no indication of how well I'd actually do in it worries me. I don't even do any essay-based subjects at AS, and English was my lowest GCSE grade... I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology.

I know the Warwick website says that Economics A-level isn't necessary, only Maths is, but I can't help but feel as if I'd be at a disadvantage and I'd struggle without the A-level knowledge to help me.

Are there any MORSE students that could share their experience and give me advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xsk)
    The MORSE course at Warwick looks really interesting, but I haven't done Economics at GCSE nor have I taken it up for AS this year, so naturally I'm worried that if I get into MORSE I'll end up hating the Economics aspect... I've grabbed a textbook off the Econ teacher at my school and taken a look through it, and the topics covered do seem to interest me, but the fact that I have no indication of how well I'd actually do in it worries me. I don't even do any essay-based subjects at AS, and English was my lowest GCSE grade... I do Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Biology.

I know the Warwick website says that Economics A-level isn't necessary, only Maths is, but I can't help but feel as if I'd be at a disadvantage and I'd struggle without the A-level knowledge to help me.

Are there any MORSE students that could share their experience and give me advice?
    I would definitely contact the ug-admissions team at Warwick. They can put you in contact with a tutor who is on that course, maybe even ask if you can pop along to have a chat about it. Can't harm having he information directly from the horses mouth so to speak hey. Good luck
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Xsk)

It's not necessary. They have even said it's not necessary, chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    It's not necessary. They have even said it's not necessary, chill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think he knows it isn't neccessary, as he distinctly said he had looked at the website, and saw they specified it wasn't necessary

OP, I think you'll be fine, even though I haven't experienced Economics at university myself, apparently it is a different beast to A-level. Plus, even if you don't like it, one of the great things about MORSE is its flexibility and broadness, so you can choose not to take many Economics modules.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Xsk)

One of my flatmates is studying MORSE currently, he didn't study economics and managed an offer. However, from the sounds of it he wishes that he'd read more around the Econ side before he came, as he is struggling to catch up with some of the first year stuff. You should be fine to get an offer, and if you do, just make sure you do some reading around the AS/A2 material before you come; it'll make your life a hell of a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    A level material won't help much with econ core modules. I don't suggest looking at A level stuff. If you are really scared of it and want to do some work before starting just get the notes for the particular module you're worried about and read it.

ReputationRep:

Thanks for the advice I spoke more to the econ teacher and she thinks I'd cope fine too. I think I will end up applying next year, and if I get an offer I'll do some major econ reading over the summer (Im a bit of a worry wart :P )

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.