Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys I hope you're all well.

I'm having an issue, and i have done so for a long time now.

I was always shy as a kid, I never really spoke much and now i'm being forced to speak and meet people all the time. I unfortunately, feel like because of how shy i used to be, I never learnt HOW to have a conversation with someone and HOW to interact and connect with people. In a group of people, in which it's not just me who's keeping the conversation going, i'm completely fine. I'm funny, i'm talkative, i'm bubbly. There's not a single person who would describe me as low in confidence or boring, people are constantly telling me how there would never be a boring day without me. However, the reality is, when I am alone with someone I simply do not know how to hold conversations. So i'm awkward and I get nervous and shy.

What can i do about this? I know I have a great personality it is just trapped behind a wall of anxiety and lack of real social skills . This mixed with university, just sucks.

What can i do ?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 23, 2015
Poll
Favourite type of bread

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.