Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I've been crazy overwhelmed by the mountain of information out there and feel like I need some help at this stage. I'm currently a third year undergraduate at the university of Ulster studying psychology. My goal is to go into counselling psychology doctorates in 1 of 3 universities that I have selected. I have looked at their third year programs and have a number of questions-

1. when do I apply for these courses, there appears to be no cut of date on their websites?
    2. funding- I've looked at a crazy amount of info on this and still have no clear picture of where I am going to get potentially £20,000 in total to pay for this.
    3. does the PCDL apply to doctorate programs as I have read that it is only for masters
    4.whats the options if I can't get funding? job? year out?

sorry if its a lot of waffle guys but at this stage I haven't a clue what to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pab94)
    Hi guys,

I've been crazy overwhelmed by the mountain of information out there and feel like I need some help at this stage. I'm currently a third year undergraduate at the university of Ulster studying psychology. My goal is to go into counselling psychology doctorates in 1 of 3 universities that I have selected. I have looked at their third year programs and have a number of questions-

1. when do I apply for these courses, there appears to be no cut of date on their websites?
    2. funding- I've looked at a crazy amount of info on this and still have no clear picture of where I am going to get potentially £20,000 in total to pay for this.
    3. does the PCDL apply to doctorate programs as I have read that it is only for masters
    4.whats the options if I can't get funding? job? year out?

sorry if its a lot of waffle guys but at this stage I haven't a clue what to think.
    1. If there is no cut off it means they take applications until they are full
    2. It's worth emailing the universities you are considering applying to for information on any sources of funding they might have- some have research council funding for doctorates for a few students, they might also know of any other psychology related bursaries, beware that funding is limited though and I personally don't know what the situation in psychology is like.
    3. Yes PCDL is really only meant for masters because its only for courses no longer than 2 years.
    4. If you really want to do the doctorate and can't get funding then yes working for a few years is of course an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jelly1000)
    1. If there is no cut off it means they take applications until they are full
    2. It's worth emailing the universities you are considering applying to for information on any sources of funding they might have- some have research council funding for doctorates for a few students, they might also know of any other psychology related bursaries, beware that funding is limited though and I personally don't know what the situation in psychology is like.
    3. Yes PCDL is really only meant for masters because its only for courses no longer than 2 years.
    4. If you really want to do the doctorate and can't get funding then yes working for a few years is of course an option

Thanks that's a good point about the PCDL, I have sourced a company called Future Finance that i'm going to try and get funding for, you can borrow up to 40,000.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pab94)
    Thanks that's a good point about the PCDL, I have sourced a company called Future Finance that i'm going to try and get funding for, you can borrow up to 40,000.
    Read every little bit of small print before even thinking about Future Finance - and anything you can find on TSR - start here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...ture%20finance

ReputationRep:
    I don't have anything to add. I just wanna say best of luck

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.