Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Had acne for a while now but this is not standard acne, my skin is part oily around my cheeks, dry around my nose, and really sensitive. I get bumps and white puss filled spots often. Strange because I get this on my face and nowhere else on my body. I've been prescribed all the standard acne stuff from my doctor, duac lymeclime and benezil peroxide (burned my skin bad).
    I'm starting to wonder if my cleaning habits are optimal for the type of skin I have, in the past I used to wash my face with water alone and have no problems, then when it started to get bad I moved onto the simple range and now I use cetaphil facial cleanser in the morning and night, and the moisturiser in the morning.
    Should I be applying the face wash twice a day? How about the moisturiser? My skin looks good after the shower but then parts start to get dry. However the more moisturiser I apply the worse the bumps look. When rinsing should I use a flannel or just the shower? Also should I buy extra stuff to exfoliate with, if so how often is recommended?
    I'm a guy btw, thanks

ReputationRep:
    You need microdemabrasion or a skin peel, LED light therapy etc. that's the only way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Had acne for a while now but this is not standard acne, my skin is part oily around my cheeks, dry around my nose, and really sensitive. I get bumps and white puss filled spots often. Strange because I get this on my face and nowhere else on my body. I've been prescribed all the standard acne stuff from my doctor, duac lymeclime and benezil peroxide (burned my skin bad).
    I'm starting to wonder if my cleaning habits are optimal for the type of skin I have, in the past I used to wash my face with water alone and have no problems, then when it started to get bad I moved onto the simple range and now I use cetaphil facial cleanser in the morning and night, and the moisturiser in the morning.
    Should I be applying the face wash twice a day? How about the moisturiser? My skin looks good after the shower but then parts start to get dry. However the more moisturiser I apply the worse the bumps look. When rinsing should I use a flannel or just the shower? Also should I buy extra stuff to exfoliate with, if so how often is recommended?
    I'm a guy btw, thanks
    I always use moisturiser as many times as I wash my face, immediately after.
    If you want to try an exfoliating scrub, try ST ives because theirs is really nice, they even produce one which is designed for problem skin. I'd say though that if your skin is very inflamed and you have a lot of broken skin, don't exfoliate until your skin is a bit better (so after you've been using the medicated facewash for a while).
    The lymeclime you were given, that's an antibiotic, right? Why not try a course of antibiotics again, making sure you take all of them, along with the facewash?
    I think with the flannel, if you're using one make sure you always use a clean one, and not one that you've used and then left in the bathroom. In the warm, humid environment, it's a great place for bacteria. Some people think that just using your hands is better, but some think that you end up transferring oils from your hands onto your face. You might be best off just seeing what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should apply a light oil free moisturizer in the morning and a thicker one at night. Cleansing twice a day is good. Try to avoid touching your face at all in the day, think of it as a no go zone, don't rest your chin or rub your eyes. The less you touch it the better. Try steaming over a hot bowl of water once a week, this will really open the pores. Cleanse, steam, clean, splash your face with cold water to close the pores, moisturize.
    Make sure your towel and any flannels are very clean.. have a towel for your face only!
    I hope this helps BTW I don't really like simple, I had a lady from dermalogica tell me that the Ph is very alkaline.. it says 'Ph balance ' on the pack but that just means it's consistent. Id recommend you going to Lush and investing a bit of money. My favorite night time moisturizer is 'skin drink'. They also do toner tabs for steaming.
    Sorry I really love skincare ^^

ReputationRep:
    Yes, cleanse twice, maybe even 3 times a day. Moisturize lightly. Coconut oil works wonders on acne, but if you have oily skin, probably stay away from that. So I'd recommend Witch Hazel - basically cured stubborn acne that I had for a long while.
    If this stuff doesn't work, maybe see a dermatologist who can prescribe a topical medication or there are even pills that treat acne. Good luck(:

ReputationRep:
    Since adopting a grade-three buzzcut, the oiliness of my complexion has decreased by about ninety-percent with a commensurate reduction in incidence of facial acne. Make of that what you will.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a guy btw, thanks
    I've studied acne a lot to clear up my own and I've found its dependent on a few things.

Do you get the acne in specific areas or all over? Blackheads or white heads in which areas? Are they easily squeezed out?

In general, I know that most dermatologists prefer chemical exfoliant a over manual grainy scrubs because chemical exfoliants are actually more gentle and affective to clear out clogged pores and encourage faster cell turnover.
    You should look into retin A, it's widely prescribed for acne and VERY affective for many types of acne. Dermatologists love that stuff.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Low dose accutane does wonders for me. Standard NHS dose works too but side effects are too much, whereas 20mg every other day does the job and no side effects.

(Original post by pineneedles)
    I always use moisturiser as many times as I wash my face, immediately after.
    If you want to try an exfoliating scrub, try ST ives because theirs is really nice, they even produce one which is designed for problem skin. I'd say though that if your skin is very inflamed and you have a lot of broken skin, don't exfoliate until your skin is a bit better (so after you've been using the medicated facewash for a while).
    The lymeclime you were given, that's an antibiotic, right? Why not try a course of antibiotics again, making sure you take all of them, along with the facewash?
    I think with the flannel, if you're using one make sure you always use a clean one, and not one that you've used and then left in the bathroom. In the warm, humid environment, it's a great place for bacteria. Some people think that just using your hands is better, but some think that you end up transferring oils from your hands onto your face. You might be best off just seeing what you prefer.
    Yeah the doctor prescribed it and I used it for a month without noticing anything. Thats a good pint, i'll wash my hands and stick to using them instead of a face cloth.

(Original post by Hevachan)
    I think you should apply a light oil free moisturizer in the morning and a thicker one at night. Cleansing twice a day is good. Try to avoid touching your face at all in the day, think of it as a no go zone, don't rest your chin or rub your eyes. The less you touch it the better. Try steaming over a hot bowl of water once a week, this will really open the pores. Cleanse, steam, clean, splash your face with cold water to close the pores, moisturize.
    Make sure your towel and any flannels are very clean.. have a towel for your face only!
    I hope this helps BTW I don't really like simple, I had a lady from dermalogica tell me that the Ph is very alkaline.. it says 'Ph balance ' on the pack but that just means it's consistent. Id recommend you going to Lush and investing a bit of money. My favorite night time moisturizer is 'skin drink'. They also do toner tabs for steaming.
    Sorry I really love skincare ^^
    I used the simple face wash and efolator, it actually made my skin worse so I went back to just rinsing daily with water until it got bad again, now I have this cetaphil stuff.

(Original post by DebbyDowner)
    I've studied acne a lot to clear up my own and I've found its dependent on a few things.

Do you get the acne in specific areas or all over? Blackheads or white heads in which areas? Are they easily squeezed out?

In general, I know that most dermatologists prefer chemical exfoliant a over manual grainy scrubs because chemical exfoliants are actually more gentle and affective to clear out clogged pores and encourage faster cell turnover.
    You should look into retin A, it's widely prescribed for acne and VERY affective for many types of acne. Dermatologists love that stuff.
    Forehead and cheeks, I get puss filled bumps which are easy to squeeze out, I also have some fine white spots under my lip. I think my skin is overproducing oil because . Whenever I use this moisturiser which is specifically for sensitive/dry skin, and moisturisers in the past they almost fuel the bumps/spots on my face, if I dont moisturise at night and wake up I have much better skin. Its much better overall when its dry rather than moisturised as long as its not too dry.
    The face wash I have now is pretty good in that it doesnt dry out the skin too much so I only need to put a few bits of moisturiser on dry areas ie around the nose.
    I might look at investing in moisturiser specifically for oily skin

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the doctor prescribed it and I used it for a month without noticing anything. Thats a good pint, i'll wash my hands and stick to using them instead of a face cloth.

I used the simple face wash and efolator, it actually made my skin worse so I went back to just rinsing daily with water until it got bad again, now I have this cetaphil stuff.

Forehead and cheeks, I get puss filled bumps which are easy to squeeze out, I also have some fine white spots under my lip. I think my skin is overproducing oil because . Whenever I use this moisturiser which is specifically for sensitive/dry skin, and moisturisers in the past they almost fuel the bumps/spots on my face, if I dont moisturise at night and wake up I have much better skin. Its much better overall when its dry rather than moisturised as long as its not too dry.
    The face wash I have now is pretty good in that it doesnt dry out the skin too much so I only need to put a few bits of moisturiser on dry areas ie around the nose.
    I might look at investing in moisturiser specifically for oily skin
    I can recommend a couple of good moisturisers:

http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-V...-50ml_1253356/

I've been using it for a few years now, it's really nice, very light but very moisturising at the same time. You don't need to use loads either, so one bottle lasts ages. You don't notice the grapefruit smell when it's on your face, either.

http://www.boots.com/en/Clean-Clear-...ser-100ml_914/

I also like this one, but I don't buy it as much. Both of these have a small quantity of salicylic acid in them, I think it's 2%, it's used as a treatment for spots but it's much gentler than benzoyl peroxide. This link goes into more detail about this if you're interested:
    https://intothegloss.com/2014/10/ben...alicylic-acid/

(Original post by pineneedles)
    I can recommend a couple of good moisturisers:

http://www.boots.com/en/Neutrogena-V...-50ml_1253356/

I've been using it for a few years now, it's really nice, very light but very moisturising at the same time. You don't need to use loads either, so one bottle lasts ages. You don't notice the grapefruit smell when it's on your face, either.

http://www.boots.com/en/Clean-Clear-...ser-100ml_914/

I also like this one, but I don't buy it as much. Both of these have a small quantity of salicylic acid in them, I think it's 2%, it's used as a treatment for spots but it's much gentler than benzoyl peroxide. This link goes into more detail about this if you're interested:
    https://intothegloss.com/2014/10/ben...alicylic-acid/
    The second one looks ok, 'pink grapefruit' doesn't really appeal to me. Is this specifically for oily skin? It has some alchol ingredients which I thought make your skin produce more oil?

ReputationRep:
    The second one looks ok, 'pink grapefruit' doesn't really appeal to me. Is this specifically for oily skin? It has some alchol ingredients which I thought make your skin produce more oil?
    No, it is a bit feminine.
    It's designed for oily skin in that it's oil-free, so after you clean your face and put it on, you don't end up putting oil back onto your face. If you're asking whether it helps your skin to actively produce less oil than it currently does, don't expect that. I don't think there's any topical product out there that can actually do that. Though of course, you said you had dry patches on your face. Sometimes your skin produces more oil in response to dryness, so if you're moisturising your skin well and helping with the dryness, your skin shouldn't produce as much oil. That's more of a passive effect though, and it's assuming that your skin is oily because it's dry.

I think that's why alcohol is thought to make your skin produce more oil, it can dry your skin so your skin produces more oil to counteract this. Generally though, most products you would use contain alcohol. The Cetaphil you use contains alcohol. I'd say though, that if something you're using helps, and it doesn't make your skin feel tight or dry, it shouldn't make your skin more oily, so I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Something else you might find helpful: when a product lists an alcohol based ingredient further down the list of ingredients (ending with alcohol or just -ol), it means that there's less of that ingredient in the product than the ones listed before it.This means you can kind of differentiate between moisturisers which have lots of alcohol, and moisturisers which don't have as much.

I will just say though that I'm not an expert or a dermatologist, this information is what I've learnt from my own experiences and what I've found out when dealing with my own skin problems. By all means, do your own research and make your own mind up about this

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.