Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone!
    i'm hoping to study English with either Japanese or Korean at SOAS (fingers crossed). Both languages are relevant in my life, and I'm having a rough time decided between the two. Any feedback from current SOAS students? I've heard great things about both courses, but I just don't know. Any advice about making the choice? sorry for babbling. I appreciate the help
    xx
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by gluee)
    hey everyone!
    i'm hoping to study English with either Japanese or Korean at SOAS (fingers crossed). Both languages are relevant in my life, and I'm having a rough time decided between the two. Any feedback from current SOAS students? I've heard great things about both courses, but I just don't know. Any advice about making the choice? sorry for babbling. I appreciate the help
    xx
    Hi gluee

Tough decision. Both are really cool subjects to study! It is said that Japanese is easier to pronounce for an English speaker. It is the reading and writing that proves to be more difficult. While Korean is harder to speak but easier to read and write.

For me, when I was learning a new language, it was easier for me to speak it rather than read and write. So personally, if I had to choose between those two, knowing that its easier for me to pick up a language orally, I would choose Korean. Korean would challenge me verbally, & since I struggle reading and writing in general, it would be easier for me to master the reading and writing portion of the language.

Also, keep in mind that more countries in the world speak Korean (5 countries) as oppose to Japanese (2 countries). However, Japanese has more speakers in the world than Korean.

Whatever you choose, you will have the opportunity to study the other here informally. We currently have a Language Entitlement Programme which means you can take one language course for free and learn the basics over the 10 week course. After learning all the basics you can supplement that by joining the Japanese or Korean Society or doing a night class at our Language Centre for a small fee. By doing those things, you'll be able to master English, Japanese and Korean by the end of your 3 years. Or even quicker. We had a Masters student recently who became fluent in Indonesian in less than a year. Check out how he did it here

Do you know what you want to do with your degree?

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
    Also, keep in mind that more countries in the world speak Korean (5 countries) as oppose to Japanese (2 countries)
    ...what?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by pomme de terre)
    ...what?
    pomme de terre

There are more countries that speaks Korean. Meaning there are more areas in the world where you can use your Korean skills. Although there are less areas where you can travel where the main language is Japanese, there are more people in the world that speaks it.

That was a fun little fact I thought you might like to know in case it might help make your decision a little bit easier! :^_^:

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SOAS Student Helper)
    Hi gluee

Tough decision. Both are really cool subjects to study! It is said that Japanese is easier to pronounce for an English speaker. It is the reading and writing that proves to be more difficult. While Korean is harder to speak but easier to read and write.

For me, when I was learning a new language, it was easier for me to speak it rather than read and write. So personally, if I had to choose between those two, knowing that its easier for me to pick up a language orally, I would choose Korean. Korean would challenge me verbally, & since I struggle reading and writing in general, it would be easier for me to master the reading and writing portion of the language.

Also, keep in mind that more countries in the world speak Korean (5 countries) as oppose to Japanese (2 countries). However, Japanese has more speakers in the world than Korean.

Whatever you choose, you will have the opportunity to study the other here informally. We currently have a Language Entitlement Programme which means you can take one language course for free and learn the basics over the 10 week course. After learning all the basics you can supplement that by joining the Japanese or Korean Society or doing a night class at our Language Centre for a small fee. By doing those things, you'll be able to master English, Japanese and Korean by the end of your 3 years. Or even quicker. We had a Masters student recently who became fluent in Indonesian in less than a year. Check out how he did it here

Do you know what you want to do with your degree?

~Mike
    Thank you so much! I've decided to study Japanese, and hopefully I will be able to take evening courses in Korean. I really appreciate the help. Here's to hoping I actually get into SOAS!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by gluee)
    Thank you so much! I've decided to study Japanese, and hopefully I will be able to take evening courses in Korean. I really appreciate the help. Here's to hoping I actually get into SOAS!
    You are very welcome! Come say hi to us and others who have decided to study Japanese at SOAS on our 2016 SOAS Application Thread! I'm sure they'll love to see another applicant and be excited to share their stories with you!

See you there!

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    Hi,I'm a student of Japanese at SOAS

Just wanted to let you know that although our Japanese department is excellent & you will enjoy the course, be prepared to dedicate a lot of time to your studies. Deadlines for homework are usually the day after it is set, & you cover 2 chapters of the textbook a week so there is a lot to take in at times! I absolutely love the language & my teachers, but I wish that someone had warned me how little time I would have to relax! If you have studied the language before, you shouldn't find the pace too fast, but if you're a beginner I would advise learning hiragana & katakana before you start, & having a look at the Minna no nihongo textbooks over the summer.

Hope this has given you a heads up
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by electroviolet)
    Hi,I'm a student of Japanese at SOAS

Just wanted to let you know that although our Japanese department is excellent & you will enjoy the course, be prepared to dedicate a lot of time to your studies. Deadlines for homework are usually the day after it is set, & you cover 2 chapters of the textbook a week so there is a lot to take in at times! I absolutely love the language & my teachers, but I wish that someone had warned me how little time I would have to relax! If you have studied the language before, you shouldn't find the pace too fast, but if you're a beginner I would advise learning hiragana & katakana before you start, & having a look at the Minna no nihongo textbooks over the summer.

Hope this has given you a heads up
    Just piggybacking off of what electroviolet said...

That's how most unis are. The standard norm. Especially in languages like Japanese where there is much to learn. This is done so that when you do your year abroad, you'll be able to keep up and instead of focusing on the technical side of things i.e. vocab, you'll be able to focus on perfecting the not so obvious things which will help you become fluent. Students that comes back from the year abroad are advance speakers and their career prospects goes through the roof! The course is structured so its supposed to get easier as you progress and hopefully you'll feel the same way electroviolet!

If you don't or any of your friends ever feel like you need additional help or could use the support of others don't hesitate to ask! There's many services around. For example - we have PhD students who will take a look at any of your essays or dissertations. These one-on-one tutorials are a useful tool. There are workshops that address and teaches you ways to beat things like procrastination and help you materialise your thoughts from in your head to on paper. There's many more than listed so keep checking back periodically as when the event finishes, we remove it from the page. Contact your course convenor (2015-16 it is Alan Cummings) and ask him about 1 on 1 support. Or join the Japanese Society who frequently hold Language Exchange programmes. Here's the Japanese Society facebook page

The list goes on and on. I'm hoping you're loving your time here and I hope you find some of this info useful and if not then please do reach out. I'm here to help everybody! :-) :elefant::elefant:

~Mike

ReputationRep:
    ???? Really???

I know that around 80 million people speak Korean, and only 2 countries speak it= North and South Korea and if you really want a 3rd one it's China but only in the provinces that are near Korea.Whereas Japanese is double the amount and is spoken in at least 3 countries= Japan, Palau and the Marshall Islands.

Please tell me what are the remaining countries... I'm curious. Thanks!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by joumanabi)
    ???? Really???

I know that around 80 million people speak Korean, and only 2 countries speak it= North and South Korea and if you really want a 3rd one it's China but only in the provinces that are near Korea.Whereas Japanese is double the amount and is spoken in at least 3 countries= Japan, Palau and the Marshall Islands.

Please tell me what are the remaining countries... I'm curious. Thanks!
    joumanabi

North and South Korea. Japan. China and the US. The last two is certainly a minority but decided to count it as well.

Either way, with how interconnected the world is, I'm sure you can take your talents and knowledge of a language and be able to find someone who speaks it. Languages is a great thing to have and we at SOAS are advocates of it.

~Mike

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

SOAS Guide

Featured accommodation profiles:

Scape Student Living

Scape Student Living

"Brand new super studios at Scape Shoreditch, three minutes away from Old Street station!"

Quick links:

Unanswered SOAS ThreadsFind out what student life in London is really like in students' own wordsStalking pages becomes University Connect, connect to other SOAS applicants now!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.