Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'm a student nurse in my second year and I've really decided that I want to study medicine and become a GP but I'm wondering how I go about this as it doesn't seem to be much literature on the subject and I'm getting incredibly frustrated!
    I'm also wondering if it's going to be possible as a single parent?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Whoops1988)
    Hello I'm a student nurse in my second year and I've really decided that I want to study medicine and become a GP but I'm wondering how I go about this as it doesn't seem to be much literature on the subject and I'm getting incredibly frustrated!
    I'm also wondering if it's going to be possible as a single parent?
    Finish your degree (get at least a 2:1) and apply to graduate entry medicine
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

It is possible as a single parent but very difficult. GEM is very full on and will be 9-5 most days. The 4 year courses are mainly funded, but you need to come up with £3465. If you apply to 5year courses, the tuition fees aren't funded so you need £36k to pay for the first four years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForestCat)
    Finish your degree (get at least a 2:1) and apply to graduate entry medicine
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...cine_-_a_guide

It is possible as a single parent but very difficult. GEM is very full on and will be 9-5 most days. The 4 year courses are mainly funded, but you need to come up with £3465. If you apply to 5year courses, the tuition fees aren't funded so you need £36k to pay for the first four years.
    This is so helpful thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I gather you're already managing undergrad as a single parent? As your child gets older, the juggling study and familial commitments gets easier. My daughter was a toddler during my BSc and I was a single parent and now she is at school, finding time to work and study is so much easier

Even if you don't anticipate starting uni until 2018 or beyond try the 2017 cycle to get used to it, you may get a place and you'll be still in full on study mode, if not you go into 2018 or 2019 cycle with the experience to help you. The GAMSAT is valid for 2 years if you take that and honestly every go at UKCAT is worthwhile. At least in my experience I have gone up a decile each year. I'm hoping third time lucky but prepared to try a fourth or fifth time because I know its insanely competitive and each year I'm gaining more clinical experience and improving my application I just remember people apply with 10 years clinical experience and impressive post grad qualifications, publications and high admissions test scores. I just have to be as valid an option as them.

I used my UG placements to get sessions, shadowing and experiences with different medical teams. Now I'm working at a hospital it's even easier. Each time I meet a doctor that seems friendly I arrange a time to chat with them about their pathway or in the best cases get days in theatre with them or following rounds. I have also shadowed AHP's so if I'm asked "why not nursing, PA, progression in my current role, etc" I have an informed answer.

Good luck, I wish you all the best in your current degree and in your longer term goals.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.