Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I am a guarantor for a student renting a house in Devonshire Place through Oaks Properties. The property is joined to a "noise sensitive" resident who has made multiple Noise Abatement complaints to the Council about various houses in this street.
    These complaints can be for things such as "talking loudly over music" and "loud laughter". Do not misunderstand me, I am not advocating loud music at all hours and parties every night. Of course students must respect local residents and avoid excessive noise but 8 people in a house are going to inherently make more noise than 2.
    Due to historic noise complaints on this property, which the current tenants are completely unrelated to, Newcastle Council have flagged the property as a "problem property".
    The current tenants are now dealing with both the Council and the University as a result of 2 (minor) complaints made by the neighbour in the first week. The neighbour is extremely angry as he does not want students next door and has told the current tenants he wants them out.
    ADVICE: ask about Noise Abatement Issues on ANY property you are considering BEFORE you sign contracts. Find out if the neighbour is a resident! Ask the current tenants. Ask the landlord. In this case the landlord did not offer any of the history of the noise problems.
    I have flagged this property to the Uni to see if they can let students know the issues with it. The Council have it flagged as a "problem property" so it is only fair students about to rent it are aware of this too.
    **Proceed with caution as you could end up dealing any or all of the following: the Council, the Uni disciplinary committee, Court, Police and even end up with a criminal record that will require disclosure when you come to apply for graduate jobs.**
    All of that is extremely stressful, especially when you are there to study.
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.