Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Please help - who do I see? Can't stop crying :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Background:
    I feel so very ill. My throat feels as though it is on fire and that each time I swallow even if its just my own saliva it feels like broken glass. It hurts swallowing so much that now and then I find myself clenching my fists or digging my nails into my leg to distract me from the pain of it.

Had a lot of excess saliva since i've been ill, but just been spitting that out into a bottle by my bed because I can't cope with the constant pain of having to swallow every 10 seconds.

Not slept for about 3 days due to this pain which makes me cry like mad and get very frustrated at myself.

The problem:
    Didn't register with the doctor in freshers week and they wont let me or anyone else register until next month - plus right now its a weekend anyway.

What do i do? I have an a and e near me but i feel so stupid to be told its just a cold and have to put up with it.

ReputationRep:
    Buy throat sweets, the kinda work

Posted from TSR Mobile

Go to a and e now if it's that bad.
    I used to go for small problems just to get it checked out. You can never be too sure.
    They won't laugh or anything.

(Exaggerate a little as well).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oscar.)
    Buy throat sweets, the kinda work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Been taking paracetamol and chloraceptic spray. It does nothing, so not much hope for the sweets either

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible you have tonsillitis? I'd never had it before I went to uni and I couldn't swallow my saliva with it too.

You need to see your gp or go to a walk in centre if you have one to get anti biotics if it's tonsillitis. The doctor told me that u should put ice cubes in your mouth to let the cold water trickle down your throat as it will help swelling as well as keep you hidrated.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Walk in centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenx301)
    Is it possible you have tonsillitis? I'd never had it before I went to uni and I couldn't swallow my saliva with it too.

You need to see your gp or go to a walk in centre if you have one to get anti biotics if it's tonsillitis. The doctor told me that u should put ice cubes in your mouth to let the cold water trickle down your throat as it will help swelling as well as keep you hidrated.
    I've been looking around at other stuff it could be because it feel so much worse than any cold I've ever had - but there is no white spots in my throat so I don't think it is tonsillitis. Just very red and swollen.

ReputationRep:
    If you look at your throat in the mirror with a torch, if you have puss on your tonsils or epiglottis then you have tonsillitis and maybe should go to a pharmacy and ask them for antibiotics. If your throat is just very red, then you do have a sore throat with swollen glands - I get this all the time, when your glands swell up so much that it's agony to swallow, and it's usually worse at night and in the morning. What I do is take Strepsils as it calms your glands directly, and it loosens up all the mucous (sorry to get graphic) in your throat so you can cough it up rather than having to cough all the time and nothing happens.
    I know they're just sweets but I would probably try that, and keep going with Ibopreufen and sometimes doing one of those steam things with Eucalyptus oils in them help. (so like inhaling these oils) these help colds and sore throats. If it persists for more than a week, then go to A and E (as it's the only option) and it will suggest that you do have a throat infection or tonsillitis and the doctor there will directly prescribe you antibiotics. You might find you have glandular fever (but thats if it persists for a couple of weeks and is seriously bad) and then you 100% need to go to A and E - but the liklihood you have that is quite rare and will come with bad headaches etc, so go if it lasts a long time, but it should die down within the next couple of days
    (I get swollen glands very badly all the time so I am just telling you what the doctors have told me like 100 times:') ) Hope this helps!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.