Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any tips on how to do this the best to your ability? I'm in a race tomorrow, and I'm pretty good compared to everyone in my school, but compared to other people I will be crap! What should I eat tonight and tomorrow morning? Any other tips? (I know not to start too fast).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by londongirl)
    Anyone have any tips on how to do this the best to your ability? I'm in a race tomorrow, and I'm pretty good compared to everyone in my school, but compared to other people I will be crap! What should I eat tonight and tomorrow morning? Any other tips? (I know not to start too fast).
    As you approach the last 100m - keep looking straight and focus on a target about a metre or two beyond the finish and try reach as fast as you can!

ReputationRep:
    eat lots of carbs?

imasillynarb knows lots about this kinda stuff..

ReputationRep:
    what are you racing to? will you end up whee you started? if so the whole thing seems rather pointless. My ssuggestion wuld be to take it easy and enjoy the views/scenery

MB

ReputationRep:
    you want carbs and get plenty of sleep tonight, also make sure you are hydrated
    dont go off to fast, in terms of tactics dont end up leading the race, if you can try and hit the front towards the last 200m
    what is your pb? and how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    pb?

i'm 15.. i've only run it twice this year, just in PE lessons. I'm not worried about being first, I just don't want to end up last (the race is for Borough sports). I ran it in class in 3mins 21 secs, but when I did it with my friend who is the fastest in the year (she trains a lot more and runs mini-marathons and all that) on friday, I pushed myself to 3mins 11secs which I know isn't that great, but I think it's OK for someone who doesn't train or anything?

ReputationRep:
    pb?

i'm 15.. i've only run it twice this year, just in PE lessons. I'm not worried about being first, I just don't want to end up last (the race is for Borough sports). I ran it in class in 3mins 21 secs, but when I did it with my friend who is the fastest in the year (she trains a lot more and runs mini-marathons and all that) on friday, I pushed myself to 3mins 11secs which I know isn't that great, but I think it's OK for someone who doesn't train or anything?
    pb= personnal best
    if you dont feel confident i would take it easy, get on the back of the pack and take the first lap quite easily, get yourself in a good position and then push from there on the 2nd lap

ReputationRep:
    Try and race it in 200m slots. You'll want to have enough left to finish strongly, so its important not to go off too hard. If you can start reasonably quickly, then settle into a good rythm, but still working hard, for the first 400m, and then start to build up the pace in the second lap...for the last 100m give it everything.

Try to keep your stride length long for the middle part of the race. Breath in through your nose and out through your mouth: it should prevent a stitch, and means you get maximum amounts of oxygen into your lungs.

Carbo-load today: eat pasta, toast etc. Do the same tomorrow, stay away from protiens and chocolate. You ought to eat a meal at least two hours before the race, that will give enough time to digest it. Keep drinking today and tomorrow: water is best but any weak squash will do. Bananas and energy bars can be useful just before the race.

Hope it goes well, I'm sure you'll kick ass

ReputationRep:
    pb?

I suppose it's not bad for a 15 y.o. girl.

ReputationRep:
    towards the end of the race, move your arms faster- it will speed up your legs

ReputationRep:
    I ran this at my schools sports day thingy... the best way is keep behind 1st place, just a little bit behind and keep your energy for a sprint at the end, just don't let first get away from you...

ReputationRep:
    Try and get a fairly decent start and look to box people in if everyone makes a move for the inside, which they should. Don't drift in the outside lanes trying to overtake people. In the middle of the race itself, don't put masses of energy into trying to overtake people, just try and run a constant pace till the final 100m.

As people have said, leave your final kick till the last 100m - on most tracks, this means a sharp increase in speed just as you get out of the last bend.

Some fools will start sprinting earlier than this, don't follow them, even if they pull away you should be able to make up the ground in the last 100m - as they will tire.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beauford)
    I ran this at my schools sports day thingy... the best way is keep behind 1st place, just a little bit behind and keep your energy for a sprint at the end, just don't let first get away from you...
    From the sound of it, she isn't out to win - so this may not be the best tactic. Of all the races I've seen and participated in - this is one where the field naturally spreads - especially at the start of a race. Two or three better runners will usually pull away from the main group, if you are not part of this three - there is no point in going all-out chasing them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 13, 2004
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.