Turn on thread page Beta

Answering interviewer's questions - works that were done almost 5-10 years ago watch

ReputationRep:
    I haven't done Linux scripting or any network configurations for a very long time (last time I did was in 2008, and I did just some very minor Linux scripting in 2010); I couldn't answer some of the interviewer's questions since those Linux scripts and tasks that I did before was so long ago, and my current line of work don't require them, at all. Thus I haven't practised them as a core work since 2008-2009.

The job doesn't necessarily require me to know Linux, but sooner or later I will need to use them; I don't have a problem relearning Linux scripting but it's just that during the interview, I wasn't able to answer some of the Linux questions posed. Ironically, I know them but I wasn't able to explain them much since I haven't done them for a long time; I actually mentioned this to the interviewers.

Now, in your opinion, is this necessarily bad? I was able to answer some of the questions, but I was honest to them that I haven't done any Linux scripting for some time and they seemed to be 'OK' with it, but I'm not entirely sure if this is true. The actual job requires some other set of core skills which I have and I was able to ace them

Another question is, do you think it's OK if a candidate couldn't answer or recall some of the scripts (or the technology) they haven't done/practised for some 3-5 years ago? They are familiar with it but since they haven't practised them much, they may need to relearn a few things. I do list some of the things I did 3-5 years ago but that does not mean I practise them or if they are actually relevant to the job (I listed them for the sake of notifying that I did them some time ago)

Any view is much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Anything you write on your CV is fair game.

It's like saying "Hey, I know some decent stuff about X, go on, ask me something!" and when you can't deliver it's going to be a little concerning.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Push_More_Button)
    Anything you write on your CV is fair game.

It's like saying "Hey, I know some decent stuff about X, go on, ask me something!" and when you can't deliver it's going to be a little concerning.
    That is true; but it has been for awhile though since one has done those things, so to explain them in detail may be a bit of a struggle?

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.