Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

uni courses watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have taken ICT, Business, Media and English language at A-level . What sort of university courses would be a good option for me to look into?

ReputationRep:
    That's bit difficult as you can choose different courses. I think it's best if you try to look at the one u enjoy most and try to find the course. So for example you did ICT and if you really enjoy the course then you can try looking at Computer Science or Information Management which is IT and business. So out of those A levels which one do you enjoy most?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waliid)
    That's bit difficult as you can choose different courses. I think it's best if you try to look at the one u enjoy most and try to find the course. So for example you did ICT and if you really enjoy the course then you can try looking at Computer Science or Information Management which is IT and business. So out of those A levels which one do you enjoy most?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I enjoy Media and ICT the most , though many computer science courses require maths and one science, which I don't have. Media would be interesting, though I'm not sure what sort of career that would lead to, especially since the industry is so competitive. I will look into Information management

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ally237)
    I enjoy Media and ICT the most , though many computer science courses require maths and one science, which I don't have. Media would be interesting, though I'm not sure what sort of career that would lead to, especially since the industry is so competitive. I will look into Information management
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_media_studies.htm
    Should give you career information if you want to do your degree in Media

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_i...on_systems.htm

ReputationRep:
    Most computer science courses don't actually require Maths, even the majority of RG ones. It's a common myth and thankfully people from forum showed m most don't, if anything they want a B plus at GCSE but the majority don't even say that. However, aside from this even though they don't require it you will still need to be good at maths, I would talk to lots of tutors and computer science students at open says. I didn't do A level maths and want to do it and have been assured by top uni's this is fine as they start everything from scratch and help people who require more help in maths if needed.

ReputationRep:
    none of them have a compulsory requirement of math and one science. obviously it would strengthen an oxbridge application if you were to have one science subject alongside math. there's a significant number of good RG universities that don't ask for math. e.g. birmingham, leeds, newcastle, liverpool, nottingham, cardiff, QMUL, QUB, and KCL. however, if you can I highly recommend you take maths to atleast AS levels because it will develop logical thinking skills required to be a good computer science student and it will strengthen your UCAS application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexp98)
    you will still need to be good at maths,
    Maths is definitely my weak point, so maybe this course wouldn't be for me. Since I got a C at GCSE I don't think I could cope with the maths side of things.

ReputationRep:
    Maths is definitely my weak point, so maybe this course wouldn't be for me. Since I got a C at GCSE I don't think I could cope with the maths side of things.
    Most uni's need C anyway so don't be put off because you didn't get good grade. There even people who don't even have the C and still doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    What do you think of prgrsmming I.e. the more practical/hands on side of computer science? If you like that, maybe software engineering could be for you!

P.s. we have the same name and could possibly be applying to study the same course (softwareEng) :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raees_Sharif)
    none of them have a compulsory requirement of math and one science. obviously it would strengthen an oxbridge application if you were to have one science subject alongside math. there's a significant number of good RG universities that don't ask for math. e.g. birmingham, leeds, newcastle, liverpool, nottingham, cardiff, QMUL, QUB, and KCL. however, if you can I highly recommend you take maths to atleast AS levels because it will develop logical thinking skills required to be a good computer science student and it will strengthen your UCAS application.
    I would have done it at Nottingham, and after looking again ( don't know where I got one science and maths from) they require a B at GCSE and unfortunately Maths was my worst subject and I got a C so I think maybe I'll have to decide on something else to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emiloujess)
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_media_studies.htm
    Should give you career information if you want to do your degree in Media

http://www.prospects.ac.uk/options_i...on_systems.htm
    Thank you I will take a look at that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waliid)
    Most uni's need C anyway so don't be put off because you didn't get good grade. There even people who don't even have the C and still doing the course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Really?! That's encouraging, thanks for telling me that there is still hope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thecatwithnohat)
    What do you think of prgrsmming I.e. the more practical/hands on side of computer science? If you like that, maybe software engineering could be for you!

P.s. we have the same name and could possibly be applying to study the same course (softwareEng) :mmm:
    Hehe my name is actually Alex but a few people call me Ally. Software engineering sounds interesting, what sort of entry requirements does it have?

ReputationRep:
    Hehe my name is actually Alex but a few people call me Ally. Software engineering sounds interesting, what sort of entry requirements does it have?
    It depends on what sort of university you want to go...

Russel Group usually ask somewhere around ABB-AAA.

UCAS points unis usually ask for around 320.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    It depends on what sort of university you want to go...

Russel Group usually ask somewhere around ABB-AAA.

UCAS points unis usually ask for around 320.
    I was hoping to get into the university of Nottingham, I've looked and they require a B at GCSE maths, I think I'm going to re take it, it would open so many more doors.

ReputationRep:
    I was hoping to get into the university of Nottingham, I've looked and they require a B at GCSE maths, I think I'm going to re take it, it would open so many more doors.
    Would be stupid not to retake if you got lower than a B and wanted to go into CS. Make sure you drop media studies at AS though

If you really want to do CS look into maybe doing only Maths AS or take it to A2 as well, you will be more likely to receive offers for CS. Also Nottingham is a top uni that asks for very high AAA grades, you should look at other alternatives as well, don't limit yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrojanH)
    Would be stupid not to retake if you got lower than a B and wanted to go into CS. Make sure you drop media studies at AS though

If you really want to do CS look into maybe doing only Maths AS or take it to A2 as well, you will be more likely to receive offers for CS. Also Nottingham is a top uni that asks for very high AAA grades, you should look at other alternatives as well, don't limit yourself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm not set on computer science at all, I am still very stuck on what course I would pick. I think business would be the one I will drop at AS because it doesn't interest me as much as the other subjects. I really can't decide :s

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham university would be my first choice, however if not I will also look at Trent - I'm set on staying in Nottingham, staying at home would save so much money.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.