Turn on thread page Beta

What is Computer Science degree like at University? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello students,

I have been offered a Computer Science with Foundation year course at an English university and don't really have an idea of what it is like?

Some basic Year 1 modules are : Programming, Computation, Information and Data Systems. Was told it also includes discrete maths.

Years 2 inlcude Networks, OS, Algorithms software, and year 3 is more diverse .

I don't have a background in Computer Science and never even done IT at a-level equivalent but do you guys think I can handle it? My maths is ok, but I dont know how much maths is needed.

Thank you guys

ReputationRep:
    I don't even have an offer yet but I'm so stressed about the maths. I'm not that good at it :/

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    To do computer science you don't really need the IT knowledge but it would be nice to have it. Computer science has more to do with Mathematics and Computing. Hey can I ask what you mean by English university. Didn't u do A levels?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    depending on the university, you'll be covering programming, software engineering techniques, discrete (and some continuous) mathematics, logic, databases, algorithms and so on. if you are good at both mathematics and programming you will find computer science very manageable and you should enjoy it. if you haven't programmed before, you might want to introduce yourself to a language before you start the course.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.