Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

If I wanted to Visit a mosque or any synagogue watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I come from an Eastern Orthodox Christian background (Coptic) but I wanted to ask,if I wanted to visit/explore mosques or synagogues would I have to wear a head scarf each time(to the mosque) or any other special requirements for visiting synagogues? I'm not looking to convert but rather get together with Muslims or Jews and learn more about their religion even it its similar to Christianity.

Word of advice: don't post anything islamophobic or antisemitic. If you have issues with religion that's not my problem and this isn't the thread to voice any hatred/dislike.

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I come from an Eastern Orthodox Christian background (Coptic) but I wanted to ask,if I wanted to visit/explore mosques or synagogues would I have to wear a head scarf each time(to the mosque) or any other special requirements for visiting synagogues? I'm not looking to convert but rather get together with Muslims or Jews and learn more about their religion even it its similar to Christianity.

Word of advice: don't post anything islamophobic or antisemitic. If you have issues with religion that's not my problem and this isn't the thread to voice any hatred/dislike.

Thank you
    Some syngagogues have rules and you need to call up before hand and ask the Rabbi and he'll tell you when its okay to visit, some require more formal attire and it depends if its orthodox jewish or not.

ReputationRep:
    I think most mosques would just require you to wear modest clothing. You can just wrap a scarf on your head loosely and you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    What about alternative Christian denominations too? There is a lot a variety within Christianity as well and might be worth adding some Christians places of worship to your list.

There are ecumenical and inter-faith groups that do arrange events throughout the year where it is possible to visit different places of worship and where they give you tours and such. Might be worth searching for some in London. I guess another method would probably be to just go to the websites of local places of worship and see if you can find an email address or something to contact those is charge of the place of worship.

ReputationRep:
    For mosques, I've never seen a woman go in without covering their hair, so even if it's not compulsory, just do it so you don't stick out For clothing, don't wear anything extravagant. I think women are supposed to wear loose fitting clothes also.

I'm pretty sure most people will be happy to talk to you about Islam, though. So have fun learning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    I think most mosques would just require you to wear modest clothing. You can just wrap a scarf on your head loosely and you should be fine
    Thank you! I have been to Baker Street mosque before but I didn't wear the hijab or anything although I was fully covered and not showing too much skin! Thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeathGuardElite)
    Some syngagogues have rules and you need to call up before hand and ask the Rabbi and he'll tell you when its okay to visit, some require more formal attire and it depends if its orthodox jewish or not.
    Oh okay. I know Jewish women wear skirts and rights. And show little to no skin at all. I don't much about synagogues as such,just that there's a big Hasidic community in both London and golders green

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    What about alternative Christian denominations too? There is a lot a variety within Christianity as well and might be worth adding some Christians places of worship to your list.

There are ecumenical and inter-faith groups that do arrange events throughout the year where it is possible to visit different places of worship and where they give you tours and such. Might be worth searching for some in London. I guess another method would probably be to just go to the websites of local places of worship and see if you can find an email address or something to contact those is charge of the place of worship.
    I was thinking Greek Orthodox churches too,Methodist churches. With a church it's kind of the same but with a mosque and synagogue they have different practices,if you get my drift?

Stefan
    Zuki
    Guys if you know of any great churches from your culture let me know

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    For mosques, I've never seen a woman go in without covering their hair, so even if it's not compulsory, just do it so you don't stick out For clothing, don't wear anything extravagant. I think women are supposed to wear loose fitting clothes also.

I'm pretty sure most people will be happy to talk to you about Islam, though. So have fun learning!
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    For a mosque, just be fully clothed, like long sleeved top and jeans will be fine! and a scarf wrapped around your head loosely x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samina_ay)
    For a mosque, just be fully clothed, like long sleeved top and jeans will be fine! and a scarf wrapped around your head loosely x
    Tops up to my knees with jeans underneath it a full black abaya?

ReputationRep:
    Oh okay. I know Jewish women wear skirts and rights. And show little to no skin at all. I don't much about synagogues as such,just that there's a big Hasidic community in both London and golders green
    i would highly recommend phoning before hand.
    if you can i would also recommend visiting a pagan group

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I have been to Baker Street mosque before but I didn't wear the hijab or anything although I was fully covered and not showing too much skin! Thanks for the advice
    No worries.
    That should be fine then. I haven't been to that mosque but it looks beautiful from inside, I'd like to go there soon.

ReputationRep:
    Tops up to my knees with jeans underneath it a full black abaya?
    if you're wanting to wear an abaya you can or you could just layer up and wear a long cardi on top

ReputationRep:
    i would highly recommend phoning before hand.
    if you can i would also recommend visiting a pagan group
    I don't know much about paganism tbf

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about paganism tbf
    not many people do which is why i recommended it lol

not many people do which is why i recommended it lol
    Well if you want to visit a mosque or synagogue to understand more about a religion because you didnt know much about then, stands to reason youd visit a pagan group for that reason too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S-man10)
    Well if you want to visit a mosque or synagogue to understand more about a religion because you didnt know much about then, stands to reason youd visit a pagan group for that reason too
    obviously but if she had not thought about it then well i have advised doing it.

ReputationRep:
    If you're Coptic then you're not Eastern Orthodox, you're Oriental Orthodox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HAnwar)
    No worries.
    That should be fine then. I haven't been to that mosque but it looks beautiful from inside, I'd like to go there soon.
    It's beautiful! I recommend you go

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.