Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Are speed limits +/- 10%? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Passed my practical and I don't know lol.

There was one road where it could've been 30 or 40 but I sat on 32 to appear not too slow but also at around the maximum if it was a 30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jawline?)
    Passed my practical and I don't know lol.

There was one road where it could've been 30 or 40 but I sat on 32 to appear not too slow but also at around the maximum if it was a 30.
    Yeah. I got clocked speeding and had to do a speed awareness course to avoid points on my license. It's 10% plus 2 mph. So for a 30 it's 35.

Be aware though, this is only for static cameras. Police with laser guns will still catch you 1mph over the limit.

ReputationRep:
    The limit is there as a limit so 30 is 30 not 33 + 10% etc, this use to be the case to allow for the inaccuracy of the instruments in the car, but police are fully entitled to drag you out of your car and rape your wallet for any breach of the limit even by 1mph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LatexLover)
    The limit is there as a limit so 30 is 30 not 33 + 10% etc, this use to be the case to allow for the inaccuracy of the instruments in the car, but police are fully entitled to drag you out of your car and rape your wallet for any breach of the limit even by 1mph
    ****, okay thanks.

Tbh, my personality will probably be someone who sticks to limits but I know this may change as I get more experience.

Would you get points for doing 31/32/33 in a 30 area and caught by police? Or just an on the spot fine?

ReputationRep:
    If your speedos reading 32mph you'll be doing about 28-29 anyway so I wouldn't worry if your caught going what appears to be slightly over the limit.

But for the sake of a couple of mph, you might as well play it safe and go bellow 30

ReputationRep:
    ****, okay thanks.

Tbh, my personality will probably be someone who sticks to limits but I know this may change as I get more experience.

Would you get points for doing 31/32/33 in a 30 area and caught by police? Or just an on the spot fine?
    As far as i know all speeding offences carry points

Here is something for you to work out

if you are travelling from Nottingham to London by car a distance of 128 miles and you travel at the speed limit vs 10% above it you will only save yourself approximately 10 - 12 minutes over a journey of 2 hrs 34 minutes

However you will expose yourself to increased risk of prosecution, accidents, and also increased stress levels over the journey time due to other slower cars (at the limit) being in your way etc.

The limits are there for a reason, not all of them for a good reason, but most of them

ReputationRep:
    It's 10% plus 2, so you can do 35 in a 30, 68 in a 60. Also, speedos CANNOT read low, so most read a little high. This means if it reads 30, you're probably doing 28. Don't worry about getting points for doing 32, you won't, but just stick to the signs in the future

ReputationRep:
    Keep in mind that speed in a car for the speedo is measured by a sensor that monitors the rotational speed of either a wheel or the drive output from the gearbox, both of these methods can be affected by the radius of the tyre which reduces over time with wear

Hence any speedo in your car is always going to be inherently inaccurate, especially if you change the spec of tyre you fit away from the one specified by the manufacturer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattyJMP)
    It's 10% plus 2, so you can do 35 in a 30, 68 in a 60. Also, speedos CANNOT read low, so most read a little high. This means if it reads 30, you're probably doing 28. Don't worry about getting points for doing 32, you won't, but just stick to the signs in the future
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news...rs-who-6166737

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...-gone-mad.html

The police need funding and guess which cash cow they are going to milk

ReputationRep:

That's outrageous! Roads are the veins of the economy ffs! Without those users there's no money to pay for stuff like the police!

ReputationRep:
    I always thought there was a 10% leeway, for speedometer inaccuracy, but looks like it's now 10% + 2mph. Makes sense as most speedometers are about 2-3mph out when driving at 30mph anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by treenyc)
    Yeah. I got clocked speeding and had to do a speed awareness course to avoid points on my license. It's 10% plus 2 mph. So for a 30 it's 35.

Be aware though, this is only for static cameras. Police with laser guns will still catch you 1mph over the limit.
    Very nice, what speed were you ballin at..

ReputationRep:

The money you pay in fines does not necessarily go into the police's pot. Most money from fines goes into road safety

ReputationRep:
    ****, okay thanks.

I doubt they would even care at those kinds of speeds it would take a real arse of a copper to pull you over for even going 35 in a 30, providing it wasn't outside of a school or something stupid.

but even if you did get pulled for that kind of speed, it'll likely result in a speed awareness course

speeding is generally about context, which is why on motorways / dual carriageways and the like even if being followed by the police they generally wont bat an eyelid if you're going a bit quicker, its only when you take the proverbial that they will pull you over.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kernow24)
    I doubt they would even care at those kinds of speeds it would take a real arse of a copper to pull you over for even going 35 in a 30, providing it wasn't outside of a school or something stupid.

but even if you did get pulled for that kind of speed, it'll likely result in a speed awareness course

speeding is generally about context, which is why on motorways / dual carriageways and the like even if being followed by the police they generally wont bat an eyelid if you're going a bit quicker, its only when you take the proverbial that they will pull you over.
    This is what I was laughing with my instructor about when I was learning.

You have 3 lanes on a motorway/dual carriageway. If you're doing the legal speed limit in the far left lane and the other two lanes are for overtaking, then the middle lane is definitely breaking the speed limit and the far right lane will be doing at least 10 mph over lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kernow24)

I tend to agree with you here, it's the context that is the most important factor. For example, if you're speeding in front of a school or dangerous area, you're more likely to get pulled than if you're speeding in an area that there is no dangers present.

And yeah, I watched a TV programme the other week and the police weren't interested in the people who were going over by a small amount (this was on a motorway), they were after the people who were really taking the proverbial. And if you're doing those crazy speeds (i.e. 20mph or more over the speed limit), you deserve everything you get.

ReputationRep:
    This is what I was laughing with my instructor about when I was learning.

You have 3 lanes on a motorway/dual carriageway. If you're doing the legal speed limit in the far left lane and the other two lanes are for overtaking, then the middle lane is definitely breaking the speed limit and the far right lane will be doing at least 10 mph over lol
    What's so funny about that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    What's so funny about that?
    That motorways are designed for speed limits to be broken.

ReputationRep:
    That motorways are designed for speed limits to be broken.
    Erm. No.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by College_Dropout)
    Erm. No.
    Er yeah.

If everyone was doing close to the limit and you overtake, you're gonna have to break the limit.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.