Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Resigning during probation period - help! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm not sure who to ask so thought I'd try here! I've been working for a company since September (so nearly two months) and it just isn't what I want to do post-uni. I have another job lined up but I just wanted to check what my notice period would be.

In my contract it says "Following successful completion of your probationary period (company) may give you notice in writing to terminate your employment of not less than one week for the first year plus one week for each additional year. If you wish to terminate your employment, you must give notice in writing of not less than four weeks." As I'm still in my probationary period, I'm not sure how long I can give.

It's a relatively small company so they don't have a HR department to contact, and I'd rather not rock the boat with my boss saying I don't know how long to give, for them to try and demand four weeks out of me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't say anything in your contract about notice period during probation?

In my experience my notice period during probation has generally been 2 weeks rather than 4 weeks but I wouldn't take this as a given if you're going to need to be in a new job. If it doesn't say just hand in a letter saying you will be resigning, working four weeks notice and your last day will be X, or ask... if your boss is difficult they can only be difficult for 4 weeks.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.