Turn on thread page Beta

Advice needed please. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone I really am desperate for some advice.

I'm 25 and have always struggled with social anxiety and have never been with a guy but recently I met a guy through my sister and he told me he likes me (I like him too) so we swapped numbers.

We text most days which I'm ok with and have seen him a few times since but I'm too shy when actually around him that he thinks I'm not interested in him. I've told him I am and that I'm just shy at first which he seemed ok with. I can talk to him and ask some questions but that's about it before I start to feel anxious. I want to be more confident and flirty with him.

I think I really like him so don't want to mess it up but I'm scared of just telling him about having social anxiety in the past and not being with a guy before. I'm scared he'll be put off by it. I do think some of the reason I'm too shy is because I like him as I'm not like this with other people.

How can I tell him I've struggled with it in the past without embarrassing myself?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    If anyone could help please I'm seeing him tonight.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's embarrassing to be honest with him and tell him that you struggle with anxiety and shyness. If he truly likes you then he'll understand and work with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise9994)
    If anyone could help please I'm seeing him tonight.
    Why do you want to tell him private stuff like that, you arent even dating

ReputationRep:
    Nothing wrong with being shy. I think what you need to do is just talk to each other and get to know each other and also take it slow and soon before you know you won't be feeling shy anymore. It's just like the first time you started work or school and after a while u find yourself talking to everyone and not feeling shy. So just tell him how you feel and be honest because if he really likes you then there's nothing that will make him think you're not interested in him. Hope that helps and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The drive to find companionship, not to mention sex, drives everyone through, even if you're shy. Just go for it..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by driftawaay)
    Why do you want to tell him private stuff like that, you arent even dating
    Because of me being extremely shy he thinks im not that interested but I am.

Me telling him about never being with a guy is private stuff but I might have to tell him at some point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise9994)
    Because of me being extremely shy he thinks im not that interested but I am.

Me telling him about never being with a guy is private stuff but I might have to tell him at some point.
    You can just tell him that you are shy, you havent even had your first date yet so I wouldnt talk about having anxiety etc. As for not having had a boyfriend before, well you will have to (or should) tell him down the line ofc if it becomes serious. Same with the anxiety thing. But its your choice when you want to tell him.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.