Turn on thread page Beta

Deep Thought Thursday: Can reality live up to our expectations? watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Once again, thank you all for your input last week, they've proved very helpful, and have been added to my databases. AI and emotions is certainly and interesting topic, especially with cases such as Marvin.

This week, our topic comes from a book few of you earthfolk will have heard of - indeed, according to my records, it's the most successful book ever to come out of the great publishing corporations of Ursa Minor, a publisher never heard of on earth. But that aside, the book has an entry on 'Brokian Ultra Cricket', a rule of which is as follows:

(Original post by Rule Three:)
    Put your team and the opposing team in a large field and build a high wall round them.The reason for this is that, though the game is a major spectator sport, the frustration experienced by the audience at not actually being able to see what's going on leads them to imagine that it's a lot more exciting than it actually is. A crowd that has just watched a rather humdrum game experiences far less life-affirmation than a crowd that believes it has just missed the most dramatic event in sporting history.
    So the question to you this week: Are the Brokian's wrong or right; do I need to have a word? Can reality live up to our imaginations?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Brokian Ultra Cricket, I remember you well from Hitchhiker's Guide. I liked this rule, and the rule that The winning team is the team that has won, or whatever the wording was. Should dig out my copy, and you should all read it too if you haven't for some bizarre reason (you might struggle with Ursa Minor but DON'T PANIC - you can get it from Wordery).

I think the laws of physics do a job of restricting us in terms of reality. We can imagine very much in science fiction (such as the Improbability Engine that I believe you're familiar with) but at least in our reality these things don't happen. I read a lot, I spend a lot of my time with imagined scenarios that I don't think would actually happen in a million years.

But then again, there's so much that we don't know as humans. There is much that the humans alive on earth right now won't be able to know, and it comes to their children to make those discoveries. We can't really know if reality lives up to our imagination given that we don't know really all that much about reality.

ReputationRep:
    Anything that we are capable of imagining must surely exist as we know what it feels like.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Our imaginations are made up of the extremes of life, as we find those the most interesting. A good example of our "imaginations" would be a lucid dream, which is made from our past experiences and is often much better than real life if that helps.

ReputationRep:
    It would be nice to think so, but I don't think it's plausible.

Mainly because I used to dream about being a mythical beast which, unfortunately, is unlikely to come true.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Brokians are wrong. Reality can live up to imagination but it's almost always different to how we imagined it, so we have to be prepared for that and accepting.

And this is coming from someone with an overactive imagination who is daydreaming all the time

I'm not really into sport massively, but a good sport example is when Jessica Ennis won that race at the Olympics 2012, it was a dream moment it was actually unbelievable. It happened though.

I've been thinking about this a lot actually because of nature and wildlife. We always dream up fantasy worlds for films and TV, but if we open our eyes, nothing is as weird and wonderful as the random life on earth.

Does any alien or Pokemon we've imagined really look much different to this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shostakovish)
    It would be nice to think so, but I don't think it's plausible.

Mainly because I used to dream about being a mythical beast which, unfortunately, is unlikely to come true.
    Depends on the context.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, humans.

Reality is so much more depressing than you could ever imagine.

ReputationRep:
    Don't you see, humans. Even the second greatest computer in the universe is having to take time to process. What makes you think you could know or even imagine knowing all about your reality?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paranoid-Android)
    Don't you see, humans. Even the second greatest computer in the universe is having to take time to process. What makes you think you could know or even imagine knowing all about your reality?
    Do you know, I think I agree.

I can imagine things I can't do, but I can't imagine them without reference to the laws of physics that I'm familiar with.
    Whereas, all the mass and energy us humans can experience is only like 4% of what exists.

I think Deep-Thought might need a word with the Brokians, maybe the spectators can see more than they can.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.