Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

really unsure if/where i should study psychology! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a second year creative media production BTEC student, and hope to achieve at least 300 ucas points at the end of the year.
    however, i am really interested in psychology.
    my issues are that I don't cope well at all with exams, and need to go somewhere that will accept media btec as an alternative to A levels.
    so far, I've only found 2 courses that fit these guidelines, which are psychosocial studies (at Goldsmiths uni) which I know isn't psychology but looks very interesting to me, and Psychology at Roehampton.
    Can anyone give me their opinions about my predicament, and also if anyone has experience of these courses I'd be happy to hear feedback!
    I've also already finished my personal statement for psychology, and have gone to several uni open days (roehampton, middlesex, and goldsmiths, and i'm planning to visit london southbank).

ReputationRep:
    Why do you want to study Psychology? To get a career in it, or because you're doing a degree and are personally interested in Psychology.

If it's just 'to get a degree' and Psychology is a personal interest then it'll probably not matter too much where you go.

If you want a career in it, then you'll need to do a course with accreditation from the bps; check each course here: http://www.bps.org.uk/bpslegacy/ac obviously a 'better' uni will look better as you go on, at the end of the day a 2:1 or a 1st on a BPS accredited course will do you just fine.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I know this is an old post but I am in a similar predicament and am curious to know what course you ended up doing. I have an offer for BSC Psychology with a foundation year in UEL and an offer for BA Psychosocial studies at goldsmith's. I have been out of education for several years and am a little intimidated by Psychology. As a career, I would really like to become a child psychotherapist. I am drawn to creative and alternative therapies which is why Psychosocial studies interests me. However I am concerned as the Psychosocial studies degree isn't BPS accredited and isn't research based so I may regret it if I choose it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eímear O'Reilly)
    Hi,

I know this is an old post but I am in a similar predicament and am curious to know what course you ended up doing. I have an offer for BSC Psychology with a foundation year in UEL and an offer for BA Psychosocial studies at goldsmith's. I have been out of education for several years and am a little intimidated by Psychology. As a career, I would really like to become a child psychotherapist. I am drawn to creative and alternative therapies which is why Psychosocial studies interests me. However I am concerned as the Psychosocial studies degree isn't BPS accredited and isn't research based so I may regret it if I choose it.
    Psychology degrees don't really tend to focus on things which are directly relevant to clinical psychology or therapy (if you flick through a general psychology textbook, you'll get an idea of the different topics covered).You may likely find that even if psychology doesn't focus on these things, you'll still be really interested in it (but if your totally focused on wanting to be a therapist/psychologist, then you may get frustrated in having to learn lots of things which you will never use in the future).

This source https://careers.bps.org.uk/ is quite good for understanding some of the psychology careers, which you will need a BPS accredited degree. Alternatively, you could do training in counseling/therapy which would be a cheaper and quicker option to get into your desired career (http://www.bacp.co.uk/student/training.php), which does not require a psychology (or psychosocial studies) degree.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 2, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.