Turn on thread page Beta

TV license for Sky Go? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    If it's my dad's account, who holds a TV license, do I need one? I don't see why I should.

ReputationRep:
    If you're only using it to watch on demand programmes you don't need a license. If you're watching live broadcast programmes on sky go then you do need a license.

ReputationRep:
    Amazing that we prosecute people if they do not cough up £144 a year for a service they dont want or need

2015 man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Amazing that we prosecute people if they do not cough up £144 a year for a service they dont want or need

2015 man
    If don't they want it, don't need it and - more importantly - don't use it, then they don't need to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amigafan2003)
    If they want it, don't need it and - more importantly - don't use it, then they don't need to pay for it.
    Yes they do.

ReputationRep:
    Yes they do.
    No they don't.

ReputationRep:
    No they don't.
    Ok so i want to watch sky tv, do i need to pay BBC £12 a month for BBC's services?

ReputationRep:
    TV license should be cancelled, it's a blatant scam. No one watches their propaganda any more. When you can get amazing sky now for like £6 a month all in.

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i want to watch sky tv, do i need to pay BBC £12 a month for BBC's services?
    Yes.

The license isn't for BBC services, it's a license to watch live broadcast TV.

Ergo, if you don't want or need and don't use live broadcast TV, you don't have to pay for it.

One simple question makes it easy to know if you need a TV Licence:

Am I watching or recording live TV on any device?

Live TV means any programme you watch or record at the same time as it's being shown on TV or an online TV service. An online TV service is a service that mainly aims to provide TV programmes over the internet, e.g. on a website or through an app or Smart TV. If you only ever watch on demand programmes, you don’t need a TV Licence. On demand includes catch-up TV, streaming or downloading programmes after they’ve been shown on live TV, or programmes available online before being shown on live TV.
    Tvlicensing.co.uk, (2015). Official TV Licensing website - Live TV and how you watch it. [online] Available at: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...w-you-watch-it [Accessed 24 Oct. 2015].

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

The license isn't for BBC services, it's a license to watch live broadcast TV.

Ergo, if you don't want or need and don't use live broadcast TV, you don't have to pay for it.

Tvlicensing.co.uk, (2015). Official TV Licensing website - Live TV and how you watch it. [online] Available at: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-i...w-you-watch-it [Accessed 24 Oct. 2015].
    Exactly..Yes it is for BBC services.

Section 365 of that Act requires that a person to whom a TV Licence is issued must pay a fee to the BBC. The nature and quantity of this fee is set out in the Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004 (as amended).

I dont want to pay money towards the BBC . Simple as that. Cut that £12 a month to £3 a month or whatever and do away with BBC services should people wish to do so

ReputationRep:
    Yes it is for BBC services.
    Not exclusively.

Part of the license fee is allocated to the BBC and part also goes to providing broadband infrastructure and welsh language services.

As I said before, the license is so you can watch live braodcast TV, not just BBC live broadcasts - it doesn't differentiate between providers - be that BBC, Sky, Virgin or BT et al.

I dont want to pay money towards the BBC . Simple as that. Cut that £12 a month to £3 a month or whatever and do away with BBC services should people wish to do so
    Don't watch live broadcast TV then.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.