Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello I'd be grateful for any advice.

I completed an HND 22 years ago and at the time I wasn't interested in staying on for the final year which would have converted it to a degree.

Here we are 22 years later, and I would love to gain a degree qualification. My original plan was to do an open university degree from scratch, as the original subject of the HND is no longer of interest/relevant to me - however, I discovered that because of the previous HND I'm not eligible for a student loan for the first year of study - so that's out of the question, since I don't happen to have five grand lying around.

So, I thought I'd investigate credit transfer via the OU for my HND; as I understand it, although it's an entirely different subject area, the HND would have likely given me credit for at least the first OU year. BUT - it turns out that the OU will not give credit for qualifications achieved more than 16 years ago.

So I'm in a catch 22 - can't skip the first year of an OU degree because the qualification is too old, but can't get funding for the first year because of the qualification. Do student finance not take into account the age of the existing qualification? Surely they ought to, if universities won't accept that previous study as valid in any case? I can't find anywhere that suggests they do - just asking here in case anyone has good news for me and thinks I would after all be eligible for a loan since my previous study was so long ago. Otherwise, I guess my dream of a degree will have to stay pie in the sky Thank you for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harperheathrow)
    Hello I'd be grateful for any advice.

I completed an HND 22 years ago and at the time I wasn't interested in staying on for the final year which would have converted it to a degree.

Here we are 22 years later, and I would love to gain a degree qualification. My original plan was to do an open university degree from scratch, as the original subject of the HND is no longer of interest/relevant to me - however, I discovered that because of the previous HND I'm not eligible for a student loan for the first year of study - so that's out of the question, since I don't happen to have five grand lying around.

So, I thought I'd investigate credit transfer via the OU for my HND; as I understand it, although it's an entirely different subject area, the HND would have likely given me credit for at least the first OU year. BUT - it turns out that the OU will not give credit for qualifications achieved more than 16 years ago.

So I'm in a catch 22 - can't skip the first year of an OU degree because the qualification is too old, but can't get funding for the first year because of the qualification. Do student finance not take into account the age of the existing qualification? Surely they ought to, if universities won't accept that previous study as valid in any case? I can't find anywhere that suggests they do - just asking here in case anyone has good news for me and thinks I would after all be eligible for a loan since my previous study was so long ago. Otherwise, I guess my dream of a degree will have to stay pie in the sky Thank you for any advice.
    no they don't take age of the qualification into account. Your best bet is work for a year or two to save up.

ReputationRep:
    I did 2 years at uni when I left school. When I tried uni again 24 years later, those first two years still counted against my remaining Student Finance entitlement.

Everyone gets a limited allowance of SF in their lifetime. It's a pain for the likes of us, but there simply isn't enough money to be more generous with those of us who've already had one bite of the cherry.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.