The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
People on TSR are nice.

Spoiler

Original post by Bupdeeboowah
The scientific and utilitarian results of chemical castration aside, I think that if the prison system has truly reformed them, and society has accepted their penance for their heinous crimes, then they should be treated the same as any other normal citizen. If we were to treat ex-criminals with the expectation that they will re-commit their crimes, then certainly either (or both) of the two conclusions should be reached: 1) our rehabilitative services are not effective, and 2) their penance was not enough.

Furthermore, I don't believe that an ex-convict can ever feel that he can reintegrate into society as an equal, if society treats him with such suspicion by imposing such an imperious measure on him.

then your two stated conclusions should be reached, here is one such article as an example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9689713/Hundreds-of-paedophiles-reoffend-while-being-monitored.html
the death penalty needs to come back, for people who commit horrific crimes again and again and again
Original post by selfteaching
then your two stated conclusions should be reached, here is one such article as an example:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/9689713/Hundreds-of-paedophiles-reoffend-while-being-monitored.html
Then more efforts need to be put in to stop them from reoffending, but not go as far as to chemically castrate them.

It's like saying, if someone steals we should chop off his hands, because there is a high chance he will reoffend.
Original post by Bupdeeboowah
Then more efforts need to be put in to stop them from reoffending, but not go as far as to chemically castrate them.

It's like saying, if someone steals we should chop off his hands, because there is a high chance he will reoffend.

but hands are used for everything and are needed in everyday life, whereas genitalia is primarily for sex, i doubt reoffenders could control their sexual urges to the point where they wouldn't be aroused by children, and it's not just the actual act of offending, there's layers to this, people actively seek out and pay for videos/images of children being abused and as long as the market exists, children will suffer. so even if they aren't actually out there raping children, they will be contributing to it in a different way (in this case staying at home and getting their rocks off to material sourced online) so as long as the temptation exists i doubt they'd be able to stop.

but i see your point, i didn't mean to say it flippantly, i have considered how it would have serious repercussions for their entire life. how about castration only for those who want it so they never reoffend, rather than it being enforced or for those who have reoffended upon being released so they blew their second chance.

let's agree to disagree eh, (p.s it wouldn't be the first punishment no questions asked, but in the failure of rehabilitation, even though it may be at the cost of their "human right" to enjoy sexual activity etc. i'd rather this right be taken away from them, than to cause such pain to innocents)
Original post by Zargabaath
I'm interested in the thought process behind this one

I hate Americans and also they have killed millions of innocent non-americans so they get what they deserve
but hands are used for everything and are needed in everyday life, whereas genitalia is primarily for sex, i doubt reoffenders could control their sexual urges to the point where they wouldn't be aroused by children, and it's not just the actual act of offending, there's layers to this, people actively seek out and pay for videos/images of children being abused and as long as the market exists, children will suffer. so even if they aren't actually out there raping children, they will be contributing to it in a different way (in this case staying at home and getting their rocks off to material sourced online) so as long as the temptation exists i doubt they'd be able to stop.

but i see your point, i didn't mean to say it flippantly, i have considered how it would have serious repercussions for their entire life. how about castration only for those who want it so they never reoffend, rather than it being enforced or for those who have reoffended upon being released so they blew their second chance.

let's agree to disagree eh, (p.s it wouldn't be the first punishment no questions asked, but in the failure of rehabilitation, even though it may be at the cost of their "human right" to enjoy sexual activity etc. i'd rather this right be taken away from them, than to cause such pain to innocents)
Castration does in fact affect the hormones of the ex-cons and therefore their mental/physical health, hence that's why believe the state shouldn't so readily resort to such measures.

Nevertheless, I think it's great that we can agree to disagree. Sometimes discussions on this forum get very heated!
9/11 was an inside job... I'm not some crazy conspiracy theorist

haha
OITNB is overrated
Ruby Rose is not that attractive
Oreos are overrated
Instagram is full of annoying people
I'd rather lick the Queen's toes than drink a fruit smoothie / drink juice that has bits in it / eat yoghurt that has bits in it / drink fruit-based yoghurt
Original post by drowzee
OITNB is overrated

omg im so glad im not the only person that thinks this

i tried to watch it but the episodes are just so long and NOTHING BLOODY HAPPENS
Android > iPhone

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danz123
I actually don't mind some of One Direction's songs.
Oh and I think intersectional feminism is AWESOME.
Come at me bros.

Unpopular opinion: I hate all types of feminism equally.
Original post by Zargabaath
The patriarchy doesn't exist and women aren't oppressed in our society.I

Shhhhhh, how dare you deny the patriarchy! :lol:
[video="youtube;vRquPxdHNGE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Chocolate cake is not that nice. Always leaves me with a stomach ache
women are evil. universally.
Self-pity at its best.

As if ethnic minorities cant represent their countries :rolleyes:
Reply 56
911 was an inside job with many inconsistencies
I personally don't believe in the ability to change their born gender/sex. I actually agree with Germaine Greer's interpretation, for once. I wouldn't necessarily call this view "transphobic" either.
Original post by LaMandarine
Unpopular opinion: I hate all types of feminism equally.

Shhhhhh, how dare you deny the patriarchy! :lol:
[video="youtube;vRquPxdHNGE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRquPxdHNGE[/video]

That's not really an unpopular opinion, especially on the internet; specifically here, YouTube, and places like Reddit. People even use 'feminist' as a gotcha kind of insult. It's like "oh, we have a feminist over here" or "feminist spotted". I'm sat here like, "yeah dickhead, I am a feminist, and what?" :lol:
That, whilst charities are obviously great things, the narcissistic self-martyrs constantly pestering me with their fun runs and bake sales and assorted attention-seeking stunts should just shut up and quietly volunteer for a charity directly/give their own money, like a dignified human being. I've carefully selected my own charities, give as much time and money as I can afford, and don't need you to make me 'aware' of cancer, thanks :colonhash:. If you want to just promote and directly ask for donations to a worthy cause though, that's fine (every once in a while). Or wear a little badge that people can ask you about, or something. But disguising something that you actually want to do as a noble sacrifice is BS, in my unpopular opinion.

Also, if you're going to get a cat in an even remotely built up area, make it a house cat. At least a dozen different moggies currently **** on my flowers.

Latest