Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Currently doing a BA degree and want to do a masters watch

    • Thread Starter

    I am currently studying a BA degree in Scotland and I am not staying now for the honors however I am wanting to do a masters in a different field and wondered if anyone can help me with whether I can do this?
    The masters is a Mlitt, and I am slightly confused as to whether with a BA ordinary degree I can apply for a Mlitt degree?
    If anyone can help that would be amazing.

    The usual understanding is that a four year Scottish degree (typically called an MA) is equal to a 3 year 'other British' degree (typically BA/BSc Hons). Therefore without the Honours year you would not have a degree at the same level as a conventional UK Honours degree. You might be able to convince a Uni to offer you a place for a Masters course but this depends on subject and discipline area, and your current grades. Emailing any of the postgrad Unis you are interested in might give you a clearer answer.

    Regardless of 'place' you will have a much bigger problem getting funding. This isnt in any way automatic for anyone, even those with a First class Honours degree, and having not fully completed your Scottish degree (the 4 year degree is an identified pathway to research and you've deliberately dropped out before this) you can almost assume your changes of funding are non-existent. Could you afford to finance fees and maintenance yourself?

    What isnt clear from your post is a) if you intend to apply to a Scottish or 'rest of UK' Uni (although MLitt suggests its a Scottish Uni) and b) WHY you want to do a Masters. The implication from your post is that you either can't be bothered to do the final year of your current degree or you aren't up to it - neither of which are a great recommendation for postgrad study. What are you trying to achieve here?
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.