Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11 applying to sixth forms/colleges and i've chosen biology, chemistry, maths and I was wondering which is more beneficial and which is more hard? philosophy or psychology. (I also want to study medicine in uni),

ReputationRep:
    It's completely up to you, both subjects are fine for medicine. Choose something you have an interest in, which one would you prefer, which one could you do better at?
    I can't give you advice on how hard they are, unfortunately, because i didn't do any of them, I've heard A2 psychology is hard, but i can't confirm that
    Not very helpful, but good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've taken psychology so this could be my bias coming through, but I'd recommend it! It's got more science than philosophy, it'll probably fit better with biology and you also do statistical work so a bit of maths in there! And agreeing with Arusya, A2 psychology is harder indeed mainly because of the more difficult statistical methods you learn! But it is very good and is considered a science because of its methods, so it will fit with what you're doing. You may find it difficult having three subjects like that, and then having philosophy, which is a lot like GCSE R.E according to my friend who does it, and is more essay based! If you want all similar subjects, then philosophy might possibly not be the best. Then again, it might actually be nice to have a break from all the science and maths, and have a more essay based subject as a change! Overall though, what matters most is what you'd enjoy more i would look into them in detail at the school/college you're considering and see which modules of which subject interests you the most. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabs_xx)
    I'm in year 11 applying to sixth forms/colleges and i've chosen biology, chemistry, maths and I was wondering which is more beneficial and which is more hard? philosophy or psychology. (I also want to study medicine in uni),
    Hey, I'm in year 12 and I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths and psychology and I'm also thinking of applying to medicine.

I'm really enjoying psychology because there is quite a lot of science and you learn a bit about the CNS and brain structure and function, which is really interesting. Personally, I'm not finding it too difficult at the moment compared to maths and chemistry.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently studying A2 Psychology and I find it very interesting. If you have a natural interest of wanting to know how and why humans behave and think in certain ways then you will definitely be interested. You don't need to be a genius to understand the content however, you have to have a very good memory because there is so much content. Also there is a lot of essay writing. I am not going to lie it can be slightly tedious sometimes, but I find the content very fascinating which keeps me going throughout the year. If you are happy with getting a C or a B in Psychology, then it probably won't be too hard. Nevertheless, If you are aiming for that A* (like me ) then yes it is hard and you will have to put in a lot of time and effort in perfecting your essays.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone who replied, I think I might apply to philosophy purely for my enjoyment, I don't think I could handle memorising and essay writing for psychology on top of the two sciences and maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sabs_xx)
    Thanks everyone who replied, I think I might apply to philosophy purely for my enjoyment, I don't think I could handle memorising and essay writing for psychology on top of the two sciences and maths.
    I do A level Philosophy and it is essay based, I get an 2-3 pg essay a week. I don't do Psychology but most people either find it boring or interesting, no one I know complains about the workload. So i think you ought to choose Psychology as that isn't essay based however, Philosophy is an interesting course and helps you as an overall candidate as it shows you have good written communication skills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kokoloco)
    I do A level Philosophy and it is essay based, I get an 2-3 pg essay a week. I don't do Psychology but most people either find it boring or interesting, no one I know complains about the workload. So i think you ought to choose Psychology as that isn't essay based however, Philosophy is an interesting course and helps you as an overall candidate as it shows you have good written communication skills.
    i

ohhh right i see, thanks for the insight, i'm still interested in philosophy it looks really enjoyable rather than psychology.

ReputationRep:
    I did psychology and philosophy in year 12 but I dropped philosophy this year as it was too much. I enjoyed the subject but the teachers combined with the work load made me want to drop it
    I want to do psychology at uni so I really enjoy that! But philosophy is great for essay writing and it is really interesting!! Just needs a lot of determination

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.