Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Getting over your 'best friend' watch

Apologies in advance for sounding like the melodramatic teenager stereotype I'm about to live up to, but here goes.

I met this guy, lets initial him: A. A and I got along like a house on fire and I was getting flirty, and he was too, and as we were about to leave a party together he says 'I'd get with you but I have a girlfriend.'

Now, I don't take someone else's property. Not that kind of person. So I don't go and decide the best thing to do is to back off. However, the next day he adds me on facebook. Then we're messaging, but I figure there's no harm in that because we'll just be friends.

Turns out it wasn't that simple, because soon enough (lets say a month) he pried me open I was telling him all sorts of things I'd never told anybody before, and him me. Being incredibly personal like that made me develop some feelings that I became afraid of.

The first time we met up again was when I went to a party at his house. Seeing him with his girlfriend was a little painful, so I got very drunk, as did he, and we walked a sick guy home and you can guess what happened.

Thing is he remembered none of it, and as it was just me and him, I decided not to tell anybody. I didn't want to be a homewrecker. We carried on being friends, and we were taking walks and going for coffee together; he'd frequently moan about his girlfriend.

This had been the situation since February. At the beginning of this month he was desperate to see me to 'talk' but we weren't free at the same time so it didn't happen. Then he and his girlfriend broke up. I tried to support him; everyone turned against him cause he was the 'dumper' so I showed up to his gigs where before his girlfriend would have shown up. Generally, I was pretty solid for him considering the situation.

Then yesterday, he told me he went on a date with another girl. He says I'm his best friend and told me not to tell anyone because he doesn't want to get a reaction from all his ex girlfriend's mates. Then he told me all about this wonderful girl, and my heart broke a little. But I can't avoid him cause we're good friends (which I don't want to ruin) and I'm one of the only people there for him amongst all his ex's mates hating him. But I don't know that I can watch and smile whilst he falls in love with someone else.

Have I been lead on? I never told him about the night of his party. I don't know if he ever had feelings for me, or if I have interpreted this situation entirely wrong. I just want a way to stop this feeling, and if anybody has any advice at all I'd be very grateful.

TL;DR: Unrequited love with a friend. Help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 24, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.