The Student Room Group

btec corruption

hi
im currently studying 2 a levels and btec applied science

my college only gives me a week for an assignment and we have 8 science teachers so we have 2-3 assignments that need to be submitted each week

its really hard to find time to revise for my a levels to revise due to assignments taking to many hours to complete

talking to the subject leader she said there is nothing i can do and if i drop this btec i would have to leave the college

what should i do?
sticky situation.. you can't really do anything about it, because if you drop the btec they'll kick you out - hmm how about dropping one of the a levels? My advise is carry on!
Reply 2
Original post by samina_ay
sticky situation.. you can't really do anything about it, because if you drop the btec they'll kick you out - hmm how about dropping one of the a levels? My advise is carry on!

im currently studying maths and accounting and feel very passionate for these subjects.
i just dont know what to do :frown:
Original post by iss123
im currently studying maths and accounting and feel very passionate for these subjects.
i just dont know what to do :frown:

I know what you mean, you'll just have to manage your time properly these next couple of months - it'll be finished before you know it :tongue: good luck x
Reply 4
I would recommend you to either look into the other a level courses your school does or just find a way to balance and juggle everything. Sixth form is a big jump from year 11, but if you have any troubles do tell your head of sixth form about it. Why did your teacher say you can't stay in the school?
Reply 5
Original post by samina_ay
I know what you mean, you'll just have to manage your time properly these next couple of months - it'll be finished before you know it :tongue: good luck x

ill try but assignments take 2-3 days to complete at distinction standard

i appreciate your help
thanks and good luck on your studies :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by Kokoloco
I would recommend you to either look into the other a level courses your school does or just find a way to balance and juggle everything. Sixth form is a big jump from year 11, but if you have any troubles do tell your head of sixth form about it. Why did your teacher say you can't stay in the school?

hi
my college is very strict and does not let anybody move course and anybody that would drop a course would have to leave as they just care about money per student per subject
i guess im going to have to make it this year through this btec

its going to be a hard year but hopefully ill make it through the darkness
Are these assignments an assessed part of your course? If not you could just slack off on some, or miss a few out. It's hardly 'corruption' to ask you to do a decent amount of work though, I'd imagine the main problem is that you're not managing your time efficiently, have you asked your tutors how long each assignment should take?
Reply 8
Original post by iss123
hi
my college is very strict and does not let anybody move course and anybody that would drop a course would have to leave as they just care about money per student per subject
i guess im going to have to make it this year through this btec

its going to be a hard year but hopefully ill make it through the darkness

I'm sorry to hear about that. My school is still letting people drop and change courses right now (almost two months in school). Do you think you have any shot in going to another sixth form, because you're going to have to stay there for the next two years.
Reply 9
Original post by doodle_333
Are these assignments an assessed part of your course? If not you could just slack off on some, or miss a few out. It's hardly 'corruption' to ask you to do a decent amount of work though, I'd imagine the main problem is that you're not managing your time efficiently, have you asked your tutors how long each assignment should take?

these are real assignments and btec state 2 weeks should be given for an assignment. now it is very difficult to study 2 alevels when you have 3 assignments piled on you with each assignment taking 2-3 days to complete to the best ability. As i arrive home at 5:30pm and go to sleep at midnight.

definitely corruption going against rules
overworking student making them only achieve better in btec forgetting students have a levels to revise for
How about...get a pass on the btec and get A* on two of the A levels? I hope it works this way.
Original post by iss123
these are real assignments and btec state 2 weeks should be given for an assignment. now it is very difficult to study 2 alevels when you have 3 assignments piled on you with each assignment taking 2-3 days to complete to the best ability. As i arrive home at 5:30pm and go to sleep at midnight.

definitely corruption going against rules
overworking student making them only achieve better in btec forgetting students have a levels to revise for

corruption
kəˈrʌpʃ(ə)n/Submit
noun
dishonest or fraudulent conduct by those in power, typically involving briber

may not be desirable but it's not corruption

so you should get 2 weeks per assignment and you're getting 3 assignments per week? are other students coping? 6.5 hours x 5 days plus weekends is quite a lot of time. Plus I imagine you've got free time during the day or while travelling where you can work. I used to work through lunch at college as I had other things to balance. If you're doing these assignments fast then they can't go on for very long, you wont be given 6x as much work as everyone else.You don't need to be revising yet.
Reply 12
Original post by 06sulraj
How about...get a pass on the btec and get A* on two of the A levels? I hope it works this way.

what im thinking of doing is just quitting this after the first year and get a decent grade to build ucas points
then i do just an as for second year
Original post by iss123
what im thinking of doing is just quitting this after the first year and get a decent grade to build ucas points
then i do just an as for second year

Go for it. :wink:

Quick Reply

Latest