Turn on thread page Beta

claiming PIP and DSA while a student watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Jewb)
    Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.
    DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.
    And ESA is paid to you if you're unfit for work.

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.