claiming PIP and DSA while a student

Watch this thread
Jewb
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Jewb)
Hello,

I have just been awarded PIP (a disability living allowance benefit). I am due to start University in September 2016.

I was told it is perfectly legal to work and be in receipt of PIP at the same time - it is not means tested.

I have only heard of DSA (disabled student allowance), but I know this is the equivalent to ESA.

So my question is, would I be able to claim PIP and claim DSA at the same time while a student enrolled on a full time course at University?

Kind Regards.
DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
DSA is not the equivalent of ESA, as DSA is a non-means tested grant which is used to pay for equipment or 1:1 support and not actual cash given to you, so yes you get dsa if you have a disability regardless of any other benefits or any other source of money you have.
And ESA is paid to you if you're unfit for work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (31)
18.02%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (44)
25.58%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (87)
50.58%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (10)
5.81%

Watched Threads