Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Cultural Appropriation on Halloween! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Scenario:

There are four girls at a Halloween party: one white British, one Asian British (of Chinese ancestry), one white German, and one Japanese. The white British and Asian British girls are both dressed as geishas, the German is dressed in a kilt, and the Japanese girl is dressed in Lederhosen.

So which of these costumes is an example of ‘problematic’ cultural appropriation?

The white girl in the geisha costume, right? Because let’s be real; she’s the only one that’s going to get a shaming from the PC police. But why not the others? All of them are appropriating attire from foreign cultures that aren’t their own. However, it seems it is perfectly okay to wear costumes inspired by foreign cultures, just as long as those cultures are European/North American, or as long as you’re not white.

There is a huge logical inconsistency here which surrounds the concept of ‘cultural appropriation’ every year on Halloween, which oddly seems to be based more on race than cultural background. Either all of them should be okay, or none of them. Do you agree?

ReputationRep:
    The German girl wearing a kilt. I want to see what's under that kilt.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    Seeing as they're German, probably enough hair for 6 wigs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    There is a huge logical inconsistency here which surrounds the concept of ‘cultural appropriation’ every year on Halloween, which oddly seems to be based more on race than cultural background. Either all of them should be okay, or none of them. Do you agree?
    A large part of the people complaining about things like this (as in, complaining about cultural appropriation) comes from an anger of their own culture and past-time imperialism. So any foreigner is likely to be protected. So as you pointed out, the white British girl would be blamed for cultural appropriation on Britain. But both the British and the German girl would be blamed in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    No no, guilt is strictly reserved for whites only. Because of reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Viva Emptiness)
    No no, guilt is strictly reserved for whites only. Because of reasons.
    Because glorious successful empires.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to dress up as a Red Indian and walk through west side Regina on Halloween.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I think I'm going to dress up as a Red Indian and walk through west side Regina on Halloween.
    I'd pay good money to see that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    that could be the wurst thing you ever did

ReputationRep:
    Because libtards decided that cowboys and indians is the same as dressing up as a KKK member, and that dressing as a pirate means you are supporting piracy in Somalia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    Scenario:

There are four girls at a Halloween party: one white British, one Asian British (of Chinese ancestry), one white German, and one Japanese. The white British and Asian British girls are both dressed as geishas, the German is dressed in a kilt, and the Japanese girl is dressed in Lederhosen.

So which of these costumes is an example of ‘problematic’ cultural appropriation?

The white girl in the geisha costume, right? Because let’s be real; she’s the only one that’s going to get a shaming from the PC police. But why not the others? All of them are appropriating attire from foreign cultures that aren’t their own. However, it seems it is perfectly okay to wear costumes inspired by foreign cultures, just as long as those cultures are European/North American, or as long as you’re not white.

I wouldn't even bother, you know what one of them would say : Ah but you see minorities are oppressed and you weren't, so your freedom of expression through the clothing you wear should be limited, because the best way to stop racism is to limit what people can wear based on their race... Regardless, it's actually rather discriminatory, it's not like we're going to say oi world stop using water mills because the dutch invented them, nobody can east sushi except Japanese, this is what happens when idiots need something to moan about, ironically basing this idea upon the concept of cultures being nothing but a set of clothes...

ReputationRep:
    There is no such thing as cultural appropriation

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.