x Turn on thread page Beta

Flowchart and pseudocode watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ^ says it in the title, someone help please asap. I give up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emeraldzara)
    Do you need help with these topics for the A level comp sci course?

ReputationRep:
    Title has no actual information on what you need help with...

ReputationRep:
    Not really helpful...

ReputationRep:
    How should we actually help you?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry, it's OCR GCSE Computing. Basically the task is: Attachment 471619

and I'm struggling to make a flowchart and pseudocode.
    Which part of the question do you find difficult?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kka25)
    Which part of the question do you find difficult?
    What I meant was, I struggle on how to create a flowchart, and I've tried to learn it for ages, and I understand what the boxes/ shapes mean, but I just don't know what to place into them? If that makes any sense at all. We did it two years ago, but the teacher isn't too good at explaining,in my opinion and I tried to ask for help but I still didn't understand, which is the same for pseudocode. I just don't understand what to write?

ReputationRep:
    What I meant was, I struggle on how to create a flowchart, and I've tried to learn it for ages, and I understand what the boxes/ shapes mean, but I just don't know what to place into them? If that makes any sense at all. We did it two years ago, but the teacher isn't too good at explaining,in my opinion and I tried to ask for help but I still didn't understand, which is the same for pseudocode. I just don't understand what to write?
    Alright. Try it first and post your solution here; we may be able to see what you've come up with.

Don't worry; I can understand how flowcharts and pseudocode can be confusing.

ReputationRep:
    Attachment 471621
    I don't really know how to pseudocode and I'm not sure if it makes sense
    Pseudocode is pretty simple, just type it in on google and have a look at a few examples. There is no set structure to pseudocode which will help you, just try to write out your algorithm in your usual language but remove things like curly braces (or begin/end), variable declaration at the start and shorten pieces of code if possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    Pseudocode is pretty simple, just type it in on google and have a look at a few examples. There is no set structure to pseudocode which will help you, just try to write out your algorithm in your usual language but remove things like curly braces (or begin/end), [b]variable declaration at the start and shorten pieces of code if possible[/b].
    Sorry, not to bother you but what do you mean by that, the variable declaration and shorten which bits, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, not to bother you but what do you mean by that, the variable declaration and shorten which bits, sorry.
    Variable declaration is what you do at the start of a program/routine/class where you say what type it is (integer, string, boolean, etc.), you don't need to do that in pseudocode. Although you might need to initialise the variable (like setting a boolean to false at the start if it effects code later on).

When I say shortening bits I mean like writing:
    IF x divisible by 2
    Instead of:
    IF x mod 2 = 0 then

Similarly you can write input, output, generate, [verb] instead of whatever you would write in your main language. For example:
    Output Age
    Instead of:
    Writeln("Person's age is ", Age);

Which also reminds me, you can get rid of semi-colons if your language uses them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheetahCurtis)
    Variable declaration is what you do at the start of a program/routine/class where you say what type it is (integer, string, boolean, etc.), you don't need to do that in pseudocode. Although you might need to initialise the variable (like setting a boolean to false at the start if it effects code later on).

When I say shortening bits I mean like writing:
    IF x divisible by 2
    Instead of:
    IF x mod 2 = 0 then

Similarly you can write input, output, generate, [verb] instead of whatever you would write in your main language. For example:
    Output Age
    Instead of:
    Writeln("Person's age is ", Age);

Which also reminds me, you can get rid of semi-colons if your language uses them.
    Thankyou!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.