Turn on thread page Beta

Need advice, will it make a difference? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I already made a thread on this but got taken off topic lol

Will starting at 24 v 23 make much difference? Am thinking of spending another year working

Will the way other students react to a 24 year old student be much different? I'll be mature either way

ReputationRep:
    I'd advise you focus more on what difference it makes to you, rather than what difference it will make to your fellow students. The best policy is to start uni when you're the most prepared you can be financially, emotionally, and intellectually. So go and work an extra year or more before applying if that's what you feel you want/need to do.

I have a few friends on my course who are at the lower end of the mature student age scale (in their early 20s) and even they feel significantly different to the typical teenage freshers. I think you just have to accept the fact that once you're in the mature student bracket (21+), it will be a different experience for you. In any case, I've been okay in lectures and seminars etc. Clearly they can tell I'm older than them, but I think so far only one person has commented on it directly to me, and even then she was very positive about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice)
    I'd advise you focus more on what difference it makes to you, rather than what difference it will make to your fellow students. The best policy is to start uni when you're the most prepared you can be financially, emotionally, and intellectually. So go and work an extra year or more before applying if that's what you feel you want/need to do.

I have a few friends on my course who are at the lower end of the mature student age scale (in their early 20s) and even they feel significantly different to the typical teenage freshers. I think you just have to accept the fact that once you're in the mature student bracket (21+), it will be a different experience for you. In any case, I've been okay in lectures and seminars etc. Clearly they can tell I'm older than them, but I think so far only one person has commented to me about it, and even then she was very positive about it.
    Thanks. Yes, I do feel it's what I want, though am not sure if I should start A levels now anyway (I want to do medicine)

I look young because I am quite pale and have a skinny face etc., but I would rather people knew my age actually

It is common in Sweden to go to university in your 20s but not in the UK. How would most UK students who are 18/19 respond

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.