Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

I don't like wearing my hair up watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit silly to be bothered by this, but I feel insecure about wearing my hair up. Next week, however, I need to wear my hair up everyday. Any ideas of a nice hairstyle which would involve my hair being tied up, but relaxed without looking messy?
    It can't be too complex either, as I'm not very good with my hands
    I have long blonde hair, with a fringe grown out past my chin. I don't like having all of my hair pulled off my face either.

ReputationRep:
    pony tail? bun? can't think of much updo's tbh

ReputationRep:
    why do you need to have your hair up everyday next week?

ReputationRep:
    Wear it down-its good to change it up abit

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you have it half up half down?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pineneedles)
    It's a bit silly to be bothered by this, but I feel insecure about wearing my hair up. Next week, however, I need to wear my hair up everyday. Any ideas of a nice hairstyle which would involve my hair being tied up, but relaxed without looking messy?
    It can't be too complex either, as I'm not very good with my hands
    I have long blonde hair, with a fringe grown out past my chin. I don't like having all of my hair pulled off my face either.
    I'm the exact same - I used to HATE wearing my hair up as it brings back haunting memories of years 7-9 having to have it literally all scraped back into a pony as part of the school uniform! HOWEVER, advice for a nice style could be to curl it all/put plaits in overnight so it's all wavy so the ponytail itself will be pretty, you could plait side bits of your hair and clip them up into the poytail/tie them up with it and leave a little fringe bit hanging down to frame your face? Plaits are the way forward! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-ZjANF-mU

Also a little tip, get a nice high ponytail (I think it always looks nicer) and get some kirby grips/bobby pins (whatever you choose to call them) and tip your head over so the ponytail is out the way and slide some clips in the bobble to give it a boost. I can't really explain with words so I'll post a YT vid below explaining what I mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCezN-qRsg0

OR you could make two ponytails to add volume to the ponytail as in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cGBYAt2Fw

xoxo

ReputationRep:
    Have you thought about wearing hats to cover it all up?

I have a large collection of hats, only tasteful ones of course. My husband, Richard, simply loves them - especially my pink ones.

ReputationRep:
    It's just hair!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 06sulraj)
    It's just hair!
    So? Hair is a pretty prominent part of our appearance. If someone feels self-conscious about tying it up, it's important for them to feel nice. I don't understand your 'It's just hair!' comment. Quite redundant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseafreak)
    why do you need to have your hair up everyday next week?
    I've got work experience, it's part of the 'uniform'.

(Original post by harmony_x)
    Wear it down-its good to change it up abit
    I always have my hair down

(Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes)
    Why don't you have it half up half down?

This is a nice idea, I might try this if they don't mind.

(Original post by FoggyTeacup)
    I'm the exact same - I used to HATE wearing my hair up as it brings back haunting memories of years 7-9 having to have it literally all scraped back into a pony as part of the school uniform! HOWEVER, advice for a nice style could be to curl it all/put plaits in overnight so it's all wavy so the ponytail itself will be pretty, you could plait side bits of your hair and clip them up into the poytail/tie them up with it and leave a little fringe bit hanging down to frame your face? Plaits are the way forward! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Z-ZjANF-mU

Also a little tip, get a nice high ponytail (I think it always looks nicer) and get some kirby grips/bobby pins (whatever you choose to call them) and tip your head over so the ponytail is out the way and slide some clips in the bobble to give it a boost. I can't really explain with words so I'll post a YT vid below explaining what I mean:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCezN-qRsg0

OR you could make two ponytails to add volume to the ponytail as in:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-cGBYAt2Fw

xoxo
    Thanks! This is a really nice response. I like your ideas and your username! For some reason it makes me think of 'You're so vain' by Carly Simon; "I had some dreams, they were clouds in my coffee, clouds in my coffee..." I don't really like the song though. Sorry, going off on a tangent. Cheers!

(Original post by Hyacinth Bucket)
    Have you thought about wearing hats to cover it all up?

I have a large collection of hats, only tasteful ones of course. My husband, Richard, simply loves them - especially my pink ones.
    That's a really good idea, I'll try not to worry about the hair, its all about keeping up appearances after all, isn't it?

It's just hair!
    I've acknowledged that I'm being silly in my original post. I'm aware that it's just hair, everyone has things they feel insecure about.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really good idea, I'll try not to worry about the hair, its all about keeping up appearances after all, isn't it?
    Yes, of course it's a good idea dear. After all, who came up with the idea?

I will NOT have you suggesting that I am keeping up appearances - I'm naturally superior.

ReputationRep:
    Bun

I prefer having my hair up because it doesnt get in the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hyacinth Bucket)
    Yes, of course it's a good idea dear. After all, who came up with the idea?

I will NOT have you suggesting that I am keeping up appearances - I'm naturally superior.
    It's uncanny, it really is

ReputationRep:
    It's uncanny, it really is
    What is, dear?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoggyTeacup)
    So? Hair is a pretty prominent part of our appearance. If someone feels self-conscious about tying it up, it's important for them to feel nice. I don't understand your 'It's just hair!' comment. Quite redundant.
    I am trying to get her to feel better and not worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like tying mine back either but I have to quite a lot for going into the lab. You can always try a nice hair accessory like a flower clip to jazz it up a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotusbloom)
    I don't like tying mine back either but I have to quite a lot for going into the lab. You can always try a nice hair accessory like a flower clip to jazz it up a bit.
    Or how about a hat? - I have a huge collection that I can show you.

ReputationRep:
    I am trying to get her to feel better and not worry about it.
    Fair enough, but I doubt highly that it will make her feel better. I get that you are trying to put it into perspective, but by merely saying 'It's only hair'...it's quite sharp, harsh. It's not as if she's going to go 'omg you're right, I never knew that'. I'm not meaning to be harsh towards you either, I just believe in building people up - properly - and respecting other people's insecurities rather than trivialise them.

ReputationRep:
    Ponytail and pull a few short strands out at the front to frame your face

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I literally can't have my hair up comfortably because of its weight. Braiding a french braid or a normal one should be fine?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 5, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.