Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How bad does your personal statement have to be to get a rejection? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for psychology- could I be rejected even if I am predicted equivalent to/higher than the entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoex101)
    I'm applying for psychology- could I be rejected even if I am predicted equivalent to/higher than the entry requirements?
    Pretty sure it depends on the university. The more popular ones are more likely to look at references and PS as well as grades. You can call them and find out how much of their decision to give you an offer is based on your PS.

ReputationRep:

Yes easily, almost everyone applying will have the same or higher grades. the only way to differentiate is through your personal statement and reference.

A better question would be 'how good does my personal statement have to be to be accepted" if applying to a popular course or high ranking university it has to be exceedingly good.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    A "bad" PS is not necessarily poorly written or containing no useful information.

The sort of PS that will lead to a rejection is one that shows a misunderstanding of the subject/course you've applied to.

For example applying to a psychology degree with a PS that talks about wanting a career as a counsellor (even if not mentioning that profession in name) demonstrates a misunderstanding that psychology is an academic degree and does not lead to a career in psychological therapies (at least not in itself).

In the case of more competitive/vocational degrees then a PS that shows a lack of the skills required to succeed will also lead to a rejection.

Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.