Turn on thread page Beta

can mental health run in the family? watch

Announcements

So mental health issues run in my family, e.g. Schizophrenia, depression, bipolar..

I was wondering if this could run in the family as it seems every generation has had issue with this, and I my mom does say to me that I act like my dad and I'm worried that I may have more chance of having these issues?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, mental illness runs in families

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So mental health issues run in my family, e.g. Schizophrenia, depression, bipolar..

I was wondering if this could run in the family as it seems every generation has had issue with this, and I my mom does say to me that I act like my dad and I'm worried that I may have more chance of having these issues?
    Mental illness can run in families but that doesn't mean for certain that you'll experience it too. A lot of environmental factors also determine it too and even then it's not 100%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It depends on the illness. Some are genetic, like bipolar disorder as you mentioned (which runs in my family *shudders*) and others are caused by experiences/environments in one's life, such as ptsd. Some illnesses can be both-there is evidence that genetics have a part to play in depression and it is definitely caused by the events and environment you grow up in/live in.

(Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    It depends on the illness. Some are genetic, like bipolar disorder as you mentioned (which runs in my family *shudders*) and others are caused by experiences/environments in one's life, such as ptsd. Some illnesses can be both-there is evidence that genetics have a part to play in depression and it is definitely caused by the events and environment you grow up in/live in.
    (Original post by Sabertooth)
    Mental illness can run in families but that doesn't mean for certain that you'll experience it too. A lot of environmental factors also determine it too and even then it's not 100%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thanks. Tbf my family have had some traumatic experiences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Yes, it can run in families, but:
    a) It depends on the mental illness, only some are hereditary and then of course, as with every other (or most?) illness, it is not a given the child get's it, too.
    b) Other effects may overlay this, those can be positive effects (the illness is earlier recognized in the child, treated earlier and thus the child has a much more managable form then the parent) and negative (self-fulfilling prophecy playing in // depending on the illness, child is allready stressed out/or not have been in a stable-enough environment and thus gets ill, too, while otheriwse it may have stayed healthy/stable // child is healthy, but "mimics" behaviour of ill parent)

Hence, it really depends and there is no general rule. At the end, it is rather down to luck, than anything else. Even with hereditary mental illnesses, it just means, the risk is higher, but not "you only get it, if your parents/relatives had it".

Just take care of you and educate yourself(though you probably know much already), that will make it easier for you, to recognize, whether you actually show symptoms or not. You can also allways talk over your worries with a professional.

ReputationRep:
    I had/have the same worries and suffer mental illness (anxiety, depression, agoraphobia) though as of yet (hopefully never) not as severe as my dads psychotic illness.

I think for me I can trace all my problems directly to things experienced with my dad and how his illness affected me psychologically which is sad because I almost feel like why didn't someone do something to prevent me being as affected as I am. In terms of genetic risk I think yeah there are different personality types and perhaps given enough stress/traumatic events then these people in the same family with the same traits might be more susceptible to mental illness. For me I believe that the most important thing is precipitating factors/stresses rather than simple genetic risk. I think too much can be made of the genetic risk and that's almost like saying you're doomed and that isn't the case because given the right support etc you can live a perfectly normal life either with a mental illness or having managed to not get a mental illness even having grown up with the family member.

Don't worry if you have concerns discuss them with your doctor and/or consider counselling.

:hugs: don't worry!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    as with every other (or most?) illness, it is not a given the child get's it, too.
    Most.

(Original post by Little Popcorns)
    I had/have the same worries and suffer mental illness (anxiety, depression, agoraphobia) though as of yet (hopefully never) not as severe as my dads psychotic illness.

I think for me I can trace all my problems directly to things experienced with my dad and how his illness affected me psychologically which is sad because I almost feel like why didn't someone do something to prevent me being as affected as I am. In terms of genetic risk I think yeah there are different personality types and perhaps given enough stress/traumatic events then these people in the same family with the same traits might be more susceptible to mental illness. For me I believe that the most important thing is precipitating factors/stresses rather than simple genetic risk. I think too much can be made of the genetic risk and that's almost like saying you're doomed and that isn't the case because given the right support etc you can live a perfectly normal life either with a mental illness or having managed to not get a mental illness even having grown up with the family member.

Don't worry if you have concerns discuss them with your doctor and/or consider counselling.

:hugs: don't worry!
    (Original post by Nathanielle)
    Yes, it can run in families, but:
    a) It depends on the mental illness, only some are hereditary and then of course, as with every other (or most?) illness, it is not a given the child get's it, too.
    b) Other effects may overlay this, those can be positive effects (the illness is earlier recognized in the child, treated earlier and thus the child has a much more managable form then the parent) and negative (self-fulfilling prophecy playing in // depending on the illness, child is allready stressed out/or not have been in a stable-enough environment and thus gets ill, too, while otheriwse it may have stayed healthy/stable // child is healthy, but "mimics" behaviour of ill parent)

Hence, it really depends and there is no general rule. At the end, it is rather down to luck, than anything else. Even with hereditary mental illnesses, it just means, the risk is higher, but not "you only get it, if your parents/relatives had it".

Just take care of you and educate yourself(though you probably know much already), that will make it easier for you, to recognize, whether you actually show symptoms or not. You can also allways talk over your worries with a professional.
    thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.