Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Mixed race people: what are your experiences with identity and racism/ignorance? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Whether it's racism/ignorance from your family members, one side of your family to the other, from friends... has it really impacted or you really don't care since you know who you are and nothing can change that?

Do you identify with one (of your) side(s) more than the other(s)?

I think I've been quite lucky on that aspect (despite living in a pretty white area of France) but I'm curious as to what other mixed people living the UK think (and other places!)

ReputationRep:
    We moved cities to Bristol cus my dad's family are racist and they hated us.

Experienced loads of racism in school and some of em were violent. I have loads of injuries from muh childhood. Now I'm in uni in London and people are pretty chill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jedanselemyia)
    Whether it's racism/ignorance from your family members, one side of your family to the other, from friends... has it really impacted or you really don't care since you know who you are and nothing can change that?

Do you identify with one (of your) side(s) more than the other(s)?

I think I've been quite lucky on that aspect (despite living in a pretty white area of France) but I'm curious as to what other mixed people living the UK think (and other places!)

I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.

I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)

Experienced loads of racism in school and some of em were violent. I have loads of injuries from muh childhood. Now I'm in uni in London and people are pretty chill.
    Sorry to hear that Hun
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

london is multicultural so u cant go wrong being mixed there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    True however there's still racism that occurs in London itself.

ReputationRep:

That's ****ing horrible

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.

I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant
    I always find that the non white side tends to be much more accepting (if there's a white side)?
    Where you in France at that time? If so, the country is very anti arab so it's normal.

That's cool to hear it's always nice when different cultures get on together

ReputationRep:
    True however there's still racism that occurs in London itself.
    (Original post by ihatePE)
    Ye you're not an outcast because everyone is equally different (multiculturalism). Everyone where I lived in Bristol is white. And then there was me. Odd one out. lel.

That's ****ing horrible
    But the good thing is I got £3k from the school/government for breaking my nose and other stuff. Been enjoying that right about now haha. Everyone else is poor and I just bought a gopro camera

I identify with my Syrian side more than I do with my father's Italian roots. So many cousins from that side and I've been to Syria quite a lot in the past. I've been to Italy but I don't know my dad's family that well and I'm certainly not as close to them as I am with my mother's family.I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in but i haven't experienced any racism since then. Both cultures in my family get along so no bad blood or racism within our family itself and my friends are cool. Everyone else is irrelevant
    what comments do people make about you then?

ReputationRep:
    I made a thread last year when the attacks happened in paris(Charlie hebdo) and the insults I received at that particular store I was in
    Intrigued by this. Care to explain?

ReputationRep:
    I've never experienced any direct racism although some of my family members from both sides are not open to interracial relationships so they are quite hostile. Sigh.

ReputationRep:
    But the good thing is I got £3k from the school/government for breaking my nose and other stuff. Been enjoying that right about now haha. Everyone else is poor and I just bought a gopro camera
    Well, at least something good came out of it

ReputationRep:
    Ye you're not an outcast because everyone is equally different (multiculturalism). Everyone where I lived in Bristol is white. And then there was me. Odd one out. lel.

what comments do people make about you then?
    It was along the lines of being Arab and going back home(deported) and how violent Arabs are/terrorist. Kind of like a daily mail racist rant just a day or two after the Charlie hebdo attacks MAINE.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh the worst thing I can think of is when men implied that me or my sister were my dad's wife or girlfriend or adopted

ReputationRep:
    It was along the lines of being Arab and going back home(deported) and how violent Arabs are/terrorist. Kind of like a daily mail racist rant just a day or two after the Charlie hebdo attacks MAINE.

lol ye thats one of the things people have said to me. Not the Arab bits though. Good thing it's not a regular occurrence.

Well, at least something good came out of it
    oh ye I forgot to say. Obvs I identify with my mum's culture (Chinese + Filipino) because I've never met anyone in my dad's family apart from his mum who spat at us on the bus when I was a toddler lmao. Never really felt too much affinity to Britain because of how I was always treated differently. I'm not patriotic at all. For any country.

v

Tbh the worst thing I can think of is when men implied that me or my sister were my dad's wife or girlfriend or adopted
    why'd they say that?

ReputationRep:
    oh ye I forgot to say. Obvs I identify with my mum's culture (Chinese + Filipino) because I've never met anyone in my dad's family apart from his mum who spat at us on the bus when I was a toddler lmao. Never really felt too much affinity to Britain because of how I was always treated differently. I'm not patriotic at all. For any country.

v

why'd they say that?
    Dude, that's so grim :eek:
    It reminds me of a half white half arab friend of mine whose mother got insulted each time they went to eat with her dad's family (as in "we know you married our son for the money" etc)
    Oh yeah, as mixed people it's hard to feel a particular attachment to just one country :\

Cos he's white and we're brown (we're half black) and we "don't look like him" and people in France are quite close minded so that's what some people think: we're his sugarbabies or some ****

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eigo-Jin)
    I've never experienced any direct racism although some of my family members from both sides are not open to interracial relationships so they are quite hostile. Sigh.
    It's passive racism and it often ends up being as hurtful as full on racism ...
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    same, i live in south wales in the less multicutural part and im the odd one out, but they dont seem bothered apart from those odd 12/13 years old who look like they could do with a wash. those scoundrels randomly say ''chinese'' when i walk past...yes you're telling me ''chinese'' because? do u have context? finish your sentence plz? im not even chinese

ReputationRep:
    lol ye thats one of the things people have said to me. Not the Arab bits though. Good thing it's not a regular occurrence.

v

why'd they say that?
    The worst thing is,when people just stare and there's complete silence. I couldn't wait to go home. I cried that day

ReputationRep:
    It's passive racism and it often ends up being as hurtful as full on racism ...
    Yeah on some days, it does hurt to know that they only hate you because you're a mix of two races, and not acknowledge your existence even a little bit

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.