Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How does this make you feel watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Think back to the most recent 30 days of your life. How happy were you? Realistically, those 30 days are probably a good reflection of how happy you'll be for the rest of your life.

I think most of us are always looking to the future as a source of happiness. But what's to say the future will be any happier than our present or past? And, assuming we achieve the goals and aspirations we set ourselves for the future, they'll always be more goals that we haven't achieved yet. What we have currently is never enough.

On another note, I really don't think there's much difference in happiness levels between the richest, most successful person in the world versus the ugliest scrub with no friends and no life who cleans toilets for a living.

What are your thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    In the end the richest and most successful man can be murdered by the poorest man. Through this he will be remembered. This makes me happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by william walker)
    In the end the richest and most successful man can be murdered by the poorest man. Through this he will be remembered. This makes me happy.
    Haha fair enough.

Another thought I had - NOTHING will make you happy. Like, if you won the lottery and became a millionaire, fair enough you'd be ecstatic initially. But after a month it'd just be normal to you. Your happiness levels would eventually decline back to that base level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Jickleson)
    Haha fair enough.

Another thought I had - NOTHING will make you happy. Like, if you won the lottery and became a millionaire, fair enough you'd be ecstatic initially. But after a month it'd just be normal to you. Your happiness levels would eventually decline back to that base level.
    Well you feel comes down to three things. Happiness, security and contentment. So you may not be happy or content being rich, but you are financially secure.

ReputationRep:
    Happiness is not a product of a set of perfect circumstances, but a set of perfect ideals.

ReputationRep:
    Progress is driven by unhappiness at the status quo. If humans were always happy and content, we'd have made little progress as a species and probably still be in tribes hunting animals and wiping our asses with leaves. Almost everything you own now and use now is because people were unhappy.

Unhappiness > Happiness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by okey)
    Happiness is not a product of a set of perfect circumstances, but a set of perfect ideals.
    That's a really good quote, where did you get it lol

ReputationRep:
    Think back to the most recent 30 days of your life. How happy were you? Realistically, those 30 days are probably a good reflection of how happy you'll be for the rest of your life.

I think most of us are always looking to the future as a source of happiness. But what's to say the future will be any happier than our present or past? And, assuming we achieve the goals and aspirations we set ourselves for the future, they'll always be more goals that we haven't achieved yet. What we have currently is never enough.

On another note, I really don't think there's much difference in happiness levels between the richest, most successful person in the world versus the ugliest scrub with no friends and no life who cleans toilets for a living.

What are your thoughts?
    lol what a load of rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChickenMadness)
    lol what a load of rubbish.
    Name:  jickle.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  9.7 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  jickle.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  9.7 KB
    I expected such a response from a feminist

ReputationRep:
    I expected such a response from a feminist
    Can we be friends?

ReputationRep:
    Can we be friends?
    lol sure

ReputationRep:
    lol sure
    haha, you take it up the bum!

ReputationRep:
    What a load of horse****.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.