Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying as an International Student from Spain, I wan't to study economics but I can't decide which uni i want to apply to.

I'm considering:

-UCL (1st choice)
    -QMUL (2nd choice)
    -Sheffield
    -Surrey
    -Nottingham
    -Manchester
    -City
    -Kent (5th choice)

from those I want to choose for sure UCL, QMUL and Kent (just in case).
    What do you think about the others? Which one is better for economics and for an International Student?

Thank you
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Carlostorrado23)
    Hi everyone,

I'm applying as an International Student from Spain, I wan't to study economics but I can't decide which uni i want to apply to.

I'm considering:

-UCL (1st choice)
    -QMUL (2nd choice)
    -Sheffield
    -Surrey
    -Nottingham
    -Manchester
    -City
    -Kent (5th choice)

What do you think about the others? Which one is better for economics and for an International Student?

Thank you
    Nottingham is tops, out of the remainder of your list, for econ. After them, it's a toss up between Sheffield and Manchester - with Surrey being slightly behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm considering:

-UCL (1st choice)
    -QMUL (2nd choice)
    -Sheffield
    -Surrey
    -Nottingham
    -Manchester
    -City
    -Kent (5th choice)

Thank you
    UCL > Nottingham > City/QMUL/Manchester > rest (((in my opinion)))

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    As they're all good uni's for Economics, it all depends what you look for in a Uni. Is it somewhere you want to have a memorable student life? Somewhere which is the most respectable to employers? Have a look at this league table to get a general overview of your uni's in the economics department.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguid...gs?s=economics

ReputationRep:
    As they're all good uni's for Economics, it all depends what you look for in a Uni. Is it somewhere you want to have a memorable student life? Somewhere which is the most respectable to employers? Have a look at this league table to get a general overview of your uni's in the economics department.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Nottingham is tops, out of the remainder of your list, for econ. After them, it's a toss up between Sheffield and Manchester - with Surrey being slightly behind.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yes, I have that problem, I'm really between Sheffield, Manchester or Surrey. I think that I would prefer Surrey because they have a nice campus, but it's not part of the Russell Group. Will be better to get a job if I study in a Russell Group University? Which of these three do you thing it's the best for student life?

(Original post by *Stefan*)
    UCL > Nottingham > City/QMUL/Manchester > rest (((in my opinion)))

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Is City at the same level as QMUL & Manchester?

(Original post by Dech)

As those are really similar prestigious uni's I wan't to choose the best for student life. Which of Surrey, Manchester & Sheffield, do you thing it's the best for student life?

I considered LSE but instead of it I chose UCL as first choice.

Thanks everyone for your answers

ReputationRep:
    For student life, definitely Surrey, they're renowned for their student satisfaction, one of the reasons why they're so high up the rankings especially for a non-Russell group university. The campus itself is small and close-knitted, with surrounding greenery and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. I'd highly recommend going for an open day round there to get the feel of things if you have the opportunity.

Manchester would probably be the least for me. The area itself is nicknamed by some as Gunchester, implying a high level of criminal activity round those bits. However if nightlife is one of your priorities when searching for uni's, Manchester is definitely your go-to uni, as the city of Manchester has a lot going for it, ranging from many bars and clubs to restaurants to wine and dine with your new found friends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dech)
    For student life, definitely Surrey, they're renowned for their student satisfaction, one of the reasons why they're so high up the rankings especially for a non-Russell group university. The campus itself is small and close-knitted, with surrounding greenery and a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. I'd highly recommend going for an open day round there to get the feel of things if you have the opportunity.

Manchester would probably be the least for me. The area itself is nicknamed by some as Gunchester, implying a high level of criminal activity round those bits. However if nightlife is one of your priorities when searching for uni's, Manchester is definitely your go-to uni, as the city of Manchester has a lot going for it, ranging from many bars and clubs to restaurants to wine and dine with your new found friends.
    And what about Sheffield? It's a nice campus? I went only to the QMUL open day in June, now I can't go to any open day because I'm at the US for the whole year. Is Sheffield for being a Russell Group Uni better than Surrey?

ReputationRep:
    And what about Sheffield? It's a nice campus? I went only to the QMUL open day in June, now I can't go to any open day because I'm at the US for the whole year. Is Sheffield for being a Russell Group Uni better than Surrey?
    Sheffield itself is a very good university, has a good reputation and the campus is also nice. The city of Sheffield itself is very large so you can always find what you're looking for in its town centres. One of my friends study Maths there and has nothing but good news about that uni.

A university being in a Russell Group doesn't generally mean that it's better than other universities in the UK. It's just a compilation of prestigious universities that have agreed to form a group. For example, universities outside of the Russell Group like Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster and Surrey completely blow other Russell Group unis out of the water (Manchester, Cardiff and Liverpool to name a few). It's the degree you get that counts once you're in the the top universities as nothing much really separates them after.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 25, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.