Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I want to use my parents SkyGo whilst at halls but would this mean I'd need to get a TV licence as I'd be watching live TV? The address the account is registered to has a licence.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt anyone is going to snooping around for people who do not have TV licenses within uni accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    ^^^ very true lol.
    But If you watch live tv you always need a tv license i'm sure.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I think you still need to licence because you are streaming live whether the account is registered at different address or not. If you don't want to pay for TV licence then don't stream live and just watch it on catchup.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I suppose but I know some friends at my uni that are also in halls have had letters sent to them from TV licensing saying they're under investigation.

I just want to know if my parents licence will apply to me as its their sky account anyway.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    goodwinning

Whether you need one or not, just don't get one. Make sure your TV cannot be seen from outside while watching live TV and you won't get caught. Even if someone were to ask to come into your house and check, they have no legal right to enter and you can just refuse. Save yourself £150 and buy something nice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Waliid)
    I think you still need to licence because you are streaming live whether the account is registered at different address or not. If you don't want to pay for TV licence then don't stream live and just watch it on catchup.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The thing is though, it says on the website if you watch on a device that isn't plugged into the mains or an aerial, then the licence at the home address will cover it.

So does that mean as long as I don't have my laptop plugged into the mains at the time I'm watching something I won't need a licence? Has anyone done this and have they ever had any trouble from TV licensing?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Technically yes you need a tv license, but it's whether they actually check to see if you are watching live tv. Sometimes they just send letters out to scare people who haven't done anything. End of the day its up to you if you want to pay for the license.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goodwinning)
    The thing is though, it says on the website if you watch on a device that isn't plugged into the mains or an aerial, then the licence at the home address will cover it.

So does that mean as long as I don't have my laptop plugged into the mains at the time I'm watching something I won't need a licence? Has anyone done this and have they ever had any trouble from TV licensing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There is literally no way they can check other than creeping through your windows.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.