The Student Room Group

LSE Success Stories...sub 'entry requirements'

I know forums generally hate it when you post the same thing in multiple places, but when TSR made me sign back in it put me into a different forum when I meant to post here....

Anyway,

Just submitted my graduate application for LSE and I'm wondering if anyone has made it through this process while not meeting their posted entry requirements. I have two undergrad degrees from a top 40 Liberal Arts College in the US. Degrees are BS in Electrical Engineering and BA in English. Did them concurrently so the GPA situation is kind of weird. Either both a 2.9/4.0 (I know, I know). However, if you separate each out they are 2.7 EE and 3.4 English. I also have an MBA from a US school in Switzerland (3.3/4.0) and have been an active duty Army Officer for the past four years.

I've spoken to the program director and he stated that it's rare to gain admission with sub entry requirements, but that it can happen (also that military service is a fair way to overcome them). Anyway, I'd love to hear a few success stories to boost my confidence while I'm waiting on the decision. Although, I'd accept some reality checks too I suppose.
Reply 1
I'm not sure how the GPA ratings convert to UK degree classifications, but as an indication, I have a 2:1 degree in Law from a strong Russell Group University, and I won't be applying to LSE for Political Theory, as I feel the competition is fierce, and just meeting the entry requirements is by no means a guarantee for admission.

In saying this, I have heard success stories from those who have dared to dream, and I wish you the best of luck.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply, and hopefully I'll get in and maybe give you a little boost of confidence to give it a shot as well. Perhaps the program you are referencing is a bit more competitive than mine. I do know my roommate from my MBA (also a former army officer) was accepted to lse with undergraduate grades even lower than mine...though again a different program. I gave the application my best effort and I think it's pretty strong aside from the GPA so I'll just have to see if they agree.
Reply 3
So, why would you need another MSc, if you don't mind asking? A 3.4/4 from an MBA sound enough to me for access to an MSc at LSE. A 2.7 GPA is a 2.2, which is low and I think 3.4 is a middle to high 2.1, so it should be ok.
Reply 4
Original post by alexkol
So, why would you need another MSc, if you don't mind asking? A 3.4/4 from an MBA sound enough to me for access to an MSc at LSE. A 2.7 GPA is a 2.2, which is low and I think 3.4 is a middle to high 2.1, so it should be ok.

All of the MSc's state undergraduate degree requirements for entry and don't really mention that another Master's could make up for this so not really sure if having that is enough to clear the hurdle. I'd like to get a second Masters because I received my MBA before I was in the Army. I have educational benefits as a result of my service and I would like to use the degree to pivot back into the private sector, refresh my knowledge in the business field, and brand myself with a strong international institution.
Reply 5
Original post by rgwen
All of the MSc's state undergraduate degree requirements for entry and don't really mention that another Master's could make up for this so not really sure if having that is enough to clear the hurdle. I'd like to get a second Masters because I received my MBA before I was in the Army. I have educational benefits as a result of my service and I would like to use the degree to pivot back into the private sector, refresh my knowledge in the business field, and brand myself with a strong international institution.

Have you tried to find a job and you were not able to? I am not really sure if it is worth spending all that money and time into one more MSc, but it's up to you. They refer to undergraduate degrees, as it is not common to do more than 1 MSc, but I think you will be fine!
Reply 6
Original post by alexkol
Have you tried to find a job and you were not able to? I am not really sure if it is worth spending all that money and time into one more MSc, but it's up to you. They refer to undergraduate degrees, as it is not common to do more than 1 MSc, but I think you will be fine!

My previous universities do not have the weight of a target school such as LSE so I am looking for long term branding as well as a unique international experience living abroad for a year. I have not tried finding a job, but with an internship this summer, the tuition assistance covered by the GI Bill and my monthly living stipend (from the Army) I would likely make more money while studying at LSE than I currently make right now while working in the Army. It would be a pretty awesome year. We'll see if they accept me though!
Reply 7
Original post by rgwen
My previous universities do not have the weight of a target school such as LSE so I am looking for long term branding as well as a unique international experience living abroad for a year. I have not tried finding a job, but with an internship this summer, the tuition assistance covered by the GI Bill and my monthly living stipend (from the Army) I would likely make more money while studying at LSE than I currently make right now while working in the Army. It would be a pretty awesome year. We'll see if they accept me though!

All the best of luck :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by rgwen
Thanks for the reply, and hopefully I'll get in and maybe give you a little boost of confidence to give it a shot as well. Perhaps the program you are referencing is a bit more competitive than mine. I do know my roommate from my MBA (also a former army officer) was accepted to lse with undergraduate grades even lower than mine...though again a different program. I gave the application my best effort and I think it's pretty strong aside from the GPA so I'll just have to see if they agree.

What course have you applied for?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending